Nissan Micra - Chain belt help

andy_con

Club Member (Trial)
my other half has a 52 plate 1.4 SE nissan micra and broke down in london today.

engine fault light came on, she happened to be near nissan waltham abbey.

took it in and they charged her £80 just to hook it up to the computer and they have said the chain belt (cam belt) has been stretch or gone out of shape or something and she needs a new one.

they quoted £1000 and it would take two weeks to fix.............

she said no, they said dont drive over 40mph, so took her 2 hours to get home.

got it booked into a local garage at a price £720.

anyone know much about micra's or chain belts? how can a chain stretch?

both nissan and this local garage have said its 12 hours or labor to change.

any info or help and i would be very greatful.

andy, it sounds doubtfull on a k11 (k12 sure fwn)
i would get another diagnosis personally :)
whats the milage btw ?

If the car sounds like a bag of spanners then the timing chain has definately let go, if not your potentially being led on a bit.

andy, the k12,s have had chain stretch problems, which throws out the cam sensor timing, but a k11 has 2 chains and no cam sensor, so i dont know how they diagnosed the chain from the mil light :suspect:.
i would get a smaller trusted garage to plug in their fault reader :)
edit, i think the 1.4 cga may have a cam sensor, but i still doubt it,s a chain problem

ok will do, many thanks for your quick response guys, very greatful

yeah its a 1.4 SE keyless entry, keyless start, air con jobby on a 52 plate

not got a clue.........

i know nothing about micra's, how do i find out.

im a clio 182 man and know lots about them LOL

Erm.. I am finding it hard to understand what your problem is exactly. This would be the first time I've ever come across a Micra that has had a cam chain problems; usually the chain should last the life of the engine. If your car drives as normal, then I suggest to just buy yourself one of those diagnostics machines yourself from Argos or something, and plug it in to your car. (Make sure it will fit, though.)

Maybe the chain tensioner had gone lose or something?

Is your Micra similar to this one?

nissan_micra_a1163017737b1067926.jpg

Oooh, didn't see that! "52" plate can be either of the Micras.. The 2002 or 2003.. Hmm, well, I know nothing of the K12's. They're too Renault for me.

Hi all, I have got a problem with my Nissan Micra K12 , during last couple of months I have noticed that when I switch the engine on , it does not work from first ignition but it works from second time , few days ago I came into the car and started the engine but it fail to start and the engine light came on , but when I tried again , the engine started without issues , after this has happen , I noticed that I became able to start the engine from first time and not from second time as I used, this a bit wierd because I expect that after the light come on the car will get worst or won't be able to start at all but what happen that it became better as I started to be able to start the engine from first time, but the engine light is still on during driving. I used a diagnose of one of my firends and I have received two error codes P0340 which says Camshaft position sensor and P0335 which says Crankshaft position sensor , next to the second code is mentioned ( pending ) , I visited a garage yesterday and they said that they need to put the car on the diagnose reader but they said that it will be most likely the chain belt will need to be changed, I do not know why they said that however the diagnose of my friend did not chow fault related to chain belt , any advise please?

Hi Thank you for replying,
There is a slight rattling that I can not hear unless I became close to the engine but I don't hear it while setting inside the car, and I am not sure if this rattling has started after the engine light is apperead on the dash board or before. Garage said that if I don't want fix it now, I still can drive the car as much as I want till the ignition fails and till I receive no response when trying switch on the engine, he said that attached or worn chain belt doesn't damage or blown the engine like damaged timing belt can do, is that correct?one more question, when I used the diagnose tool to test the car's software it doesn't show any error code that indicates to the chain belt it self, but it shown an error codes which indicate to crank shaft, so the question does stretched or worn chain belt can be discovered by the handy diagnose tool?

Back