Broken drive shaft

About 5mins ago on my way to work the car started driving funny the wheels felt like they were falling off, so i stopped and tightened them all up (they were pretty tight already) when i got to work i asked my mate to have alook at it and he said the drive shafts f***ed and a new one will be £300 :( well the car only cost half that what should i do?

failing to see how a caput drive shaft would make it feel like the wheels are falling off?

this is my first car i've been driving for 4 months and never had a problem with it so i dont have much experience with cars and problems with them, when lifting off the throttle the steering wheel started jolting left and right as if the wheel wasn't on properly and was wobbling, if you get me

id have thought it would have no drive if it had snapped, only thing i can assume is its spinning inside the cv, but catching enough to drive, one of those ones you need to see to have an opinion :D unless he has an LSD and its just pulling on one side making the steering like a focus rs on takeoff :D

About 5mins ago on my way to work the car started driving funny the wheels felt like they were falling off, so i stopped and tightened them all up (they were pretty tight already) when i got to work i asked my mate to have alook at it and he said the drive shafts f***ed and a new one will be £300 :( well the car only cost half that what should i do?

who ever said a new drive shaft is £300 slap them

is it defo the shaft and not a bearing?

Euro Car Parts has a driveshaft for £61.

But wouldn't a snapped driveshaft mean the car wouldn't move? The diff turning the wheel with least resistance meaning the snapped shaft?

id have thought it would have no drive if it had snapped, only thing i can assume is its spinning inside the cv, but catching enough to drive, one of those ones you need to see to have an opinion :D unless he has an LSD and its just pulling on one side making the steering like a focus rs on takeoff :D
In that case I will steal his car.

this is my first car i've been driving for 4 months and never had a problem with it so i dont have much experience with cars and problems with them, when lifting off the throttle the steering wheel started jolting left and right as if the wheel wasn't on properly and was wobbling, if you get me

have you checked the front suspension bushes & joints not wrecked?

one time when i went on trackday with the k11 turbo and pulsar brakes, the poor front bushes on the cheap ebay susp arms simply sheared through so on the motorway going home the car would head one direction when accelerating and then veer another direction when decelerating due to the serious movement of the damaged arm.

i can only imagine a damaged driveshaft would just cause either:
- a massive vibration at high speed from a bent off-balanced shaft
- loss of drive in all gears from a severed shaft (if thats even possible on a NA) or a poorly inserted CV spline thats popped loose, where all the torque is simply lost to the path of least resistance = the severed loose end of the diff ie. how one wheel on slippery ice will simply spin away

a damaged CV will noticably be knocking louder and louder per revolution especially during tight turns as the joint wears away looser from either lack of lube or contamination from a split boot

you usually get a mad jolting in the steering when you apply the throttle, not when lifting (when the inner c/v is shot)

have you checked the front suspension bushes & joints not wrecked?

one time when i went on trackday with the k11 turbo and pulsar brakes, the poor front bushes on the cheap ebay susp arms simply sheared through so on the motorway going home the car would head one direction when accelerating and then veer another direction when decelerating due to the serious movement of the damaged arm.

i can only imagine a damaged driveshaft would just cause either:
- a massive vibration at high speed from a bent off-balanced shaft
- loss of drive in all gears from a severed shaft (if thats even possible on a NA) or a poorly inserted CV spline thats popped loose, where all the torque is simply lost to the path of least resistance = the severed loose end of the diff ie. how one wheel on slippery ice will simply spin away

a damaged CV will noticably be knocking louder and louder per revolution especially during tight turns as the joint wears away looser from either lack of lube or contamination from a split boot
Ive had massive vibrations for a while and its just from un-balanced wheels, its made a horrible noise when low speed tight turns and just as i went to put it on the ramp we have the drive shaft snapped completely im just lucky i got to work before it did snap

Back