Noise when turning - drive shaft?

When I turn right and the car is in gear I can hear a noise, like clatter, coming from the front left near side. When the car is in neutral there is no noise. This sound is more evident when driving at low speed, but this might be due to the background noise (air flow, tyre noise etc.) at higher speeds so that it masks this sound.
I was thinking that the wheel bearing might have been a possible cause but at the garage they told me that it is due to a faulty drive shaft and it would get worse with time. Is it something dangerous? What might it lead to if left unfixed? The cost of replacing a drive shaft is about 25% of the cost of car itself so it makes me think is it worth it...

Definitely a CV problem. Had that problem and replaced them both. Now its perfect ;) Here in Slovenia those parts are brutally expensive. I changed my right one 2 years ago and payed 120e for it :sick: :sick: and the left one was changed last year and i got it for 80e :sick:

On ebay.co.uk you can find new CV's for like 10-20 pounds.....LOL

Alex

CV joint, very cheap maybe £10 from ebay and half an hour of your time. messy but still.... if left unchecked your CV will snap and you will loose all drive, but it will more than likely happen when you are parking, or driving at low speed, the reason for that is because you steer more when you are going slowly. the CV joint is how the drive shaft can transmit its power to the wheel and the wheel can still steer, its a flexable joint in the driveshaft, so when turning it is under the most load. my brother's one went in his civic (he left it for months) and it happened whilst parking, the driveshaft just popped out of the CV joint.

Here's how it works:

Simple_CV_Joint_animated.gif

You'll need to change the outter CV joint:

front_cv_axle.jpg

Greetings,
Alex

Back