need advice on drive shaft play

CMF_Marshal

» CMF Member
well i took the car to get new tyres today and they couldnt do a wheel alingment because the front left moved side to side. he thought it might be the bearing but it was impossible because i had that replaced 2 weeks ago, upon further inspection the drive shaft nut was very loose, even tho it was done up tight and lock tighted when i did the bearing, that i am 100% sure of.
anyone had this problem before? any ideas on the solution
thankyou

CMF_nz_aj

» CMF Member
You don't just torque it up.
Depending on the brand of CV there will either be a pressed metal cap that goes over the nut that is then held in place with a split pin, or the split pin will engage directly with the nut, or the will be a groove in the CV shaft that a thin part of the top of the nut gets hammered into (the method described above).

Having the CV loose is not going to cause the front left moving side to side. You've got a stuffed suspension ball joint or bushes, or steering rack ball joint or bushes, or the strut, bolts or ball joint is loose.
I would have thought somebody that did wheel alignments could have easily told you where the movement was coming from. Bit strange. I'd be worried about driving the car, you should fix it ASAP.

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
you will get a lot of wheel play if that nut is loose, and i always whack mine up with a 3/4 drive breaker bar, and the split pin is only a failsafe on k11,s (ie, there,s no castle-ated nut or cover to "set" the bearing preload)
my guess is that the bearings were,nt inserted/pressed in fully and they are now fully home

CMF_Doom

» CMF Member
Mine has come loose on the front left two separate occasions.
The first time I did not know it was loose until it was really loose and it moved and caused the wheel bearing so **** itself.

The second time (few months later) I noticed a slight noise, and that was the first thing I checked. It does cause the wheel to have movement. I grabbed the tyre and shook it hard and could feel it moving, and hear a slight clunk noise.
I put a breaker bar on the nut, then stood on it, so she is tight now!

If it happens again, I will be using the strongest thread lock I can find on it!

Back