Brake lines/pipes...???

Shero

Ex. Club Member
So after fixing the fuelin problem its decided that it duznt like stopping. haa.:down:

The nearside rear break pipe has corroded and theres two holes where the fluid has found a way out.
This was not a good thing as it was the 2nd time Id went for a drive and thought id go for a blast up a backroad near me (the takmadoon) anyway, its a fair height you get up to and a bout 2 miles back down a pretty technical road using the old handbreak aint fun:doh:!

anyway,, my wonders are, can i take the pipes off a facelift as there newr, its the 3 rear pipes coming from the rear pump thing, can i take the pipe off a facelift as i wat one with some life in it. and thing i need to look out for when bleeding the breaks? ive no dun them before??? cheers.(Y)

brakepipes can be re-used no probs if they are in good nick shero, and you need to bleed them one corner at a time (preferably with a pipe going from the nipple and into a 1/2 filled glass jar, to check for bubbles)
then wipe all the fittings and hold the pedal down HARD for a while (to check for leaks) :)

Why bother swapping pipes when you can get them made.If you remove the pipes use a roll of string to trace the length of the pipes and get a local garage to make the pipes up to the correct length with correct brake pipe unions on them.They will probably use copper piping at around £6 per 25 feet which is a doddle to shape and bend+will not rust like steel.I replaced both my front to rear pipes and both pipes from load valve to flexi pipes this morning which took me an hour and a half including making the pipes ,fitting and bleeding them.as regards bleeding consult the manual and get an assistant to help you coz if you dont know how to do it you will probably have difficulty in getting the air out of system and a crap pedal.I hope this helps-Jon.I am a mechanic tester and had the use of ramp and equipment so am used to doing this sort of work!!

cheers folks, ill go and see the garage then and get it made up probly. just trying to get the nipples loose, there a bit of a ######, dont think theyv been touched since mr nissan waved it off. lol :p

Give the nipples a good soaking with wd 40 or similar use a good hexagon 8mm socket+ratchet to undo them coz if they snap you will need to replace the cylinder-Jon

haaa, cheers, the nipples were a pain, went from a 8mm to a 7, then vice grips, there all loose now tho, cheers! :D

tiny big, wii all garages do this aye, ill jump down tomorro before worka and ask a few. And also, where can i get new bleedin nipples, there all rounded and super goosed. lol.

Cheers.

u got a link to it or sumthing?? and is it all the lines??? im no going to get a garage to actually bleed ma breaks if u think that, i do the work ma sel, its just getting the pipe bent.

I had the same problem myself for my last MoT

Made new pipes up with my collegue (who demonstrated how and made the correct flares)

Bent the pipes with my thumbs, its painful after a while but its worth it in the end. Brake pipes are basically all the same, for instance we used old brake pipes from a rover metro which were in perfectly good nick.

+ you dont have to be that precise with your bending, just aslong as the pipes fit in the previous clips on the base of the car.

In my opinion you should have left the nipples to soak in wd40 over night cuz its handy to re-use them (they usually slip of with ease after a bit of twiddling :p)

Try typing 'how to make up your own brake pipes' or something similar in google, your bound to find a few guides out there on the web :D

Other then that, good luck :D

Any decent small private garage with a good attitude should do them for you if they are not too busy or sometimes some private parts outlets udes to make pipes up to suit but you will have to ask.As regards nipples they normally come with new cylinders nowdays but again some garages /motor factors carry a selection of nipples but you must make sure you get the correct thread and taper .-jon

they were soaked in wd40 overnite and i had the flame on them to try and expand the inner thread, there was no chance they were cuming off easitly, totally rusted, well ill see how i get on tomorro.

Cheers lads.

im on about doing your own lines bud, its a little tool that bends and cuts the pipe, then anouther that goes into a vice, clamps the brake line then you push a leaver and it flares the end...wala

i brought mine from a local car auto shop and a huge roll of copper brake line and a tub of 1000 male & femail nipples, but im shure the tool will be on ebay (Y)

as for the rusted nippels get a plumber's wrench on them!! best tool i own :D:D:D no rounded/seized nut/bolt has any chance with it :)

tools are bought!!! foo noo breaks for mee!!! haaaa. cheers. just need to find some nipples. ooh!
Awwww i canny wait to drive this thing!!! lol.

piece of pis* to use eh ;) and if you get serous about the track/drag racing you can re pipe the fuel and brake lines inside the car eh :D

theve no came yet, orderd off the interweb. lol. aww, i canny wait, all lines new. :D:D:D haaaa, thats wierd, i was just looking at car with the lines through the car, it will be happning.! :D

its worth it as there not going to rott and there protected from potential damage :D
and to have that done by a garage would be £££££

Back