Mysterious Pipes

Hi, I changed the fuel filter on the Micra today (1.0) and noticed that next to the fuel filter is a big black cylinder type thing having 2 or 3 pipes coming from it. One of the connectors had a pipe missing, and the only pipe I found at the time that wasn't attached to anything was a pipes under the air intake which went and attached to the gearbox (I'm sure I'm wrong but thats what it looked like. Should this be connected, and if so, have I connected it to the right place?

Another pipe I found was coming out of the same cylider thing, but somehow ended up down the passenger side near the leg but wasn't attached to anything.... What are all these pipes for and could they be causing the high fuel consumption?

Talking of fuel, the cylinder thing did have the words 'fuel' on it but not sure what it is.

Any help / insights appreciated

The pipe under the airbox with the u-bend at the top should be connected to the gearbox and nothing else, its a breather hose.

Everything else seems fine to me, that cannister is a carbon purge canister iirc, taking oil vapours from the engine and converting them into something (don't know the details), but there is meant to be a pipe coming out of it with nothing on the end :)

Back