black ice claims another victim

I don't see how you'd be stepping on the accelerator when you wanted to stop. Zzzz..

Its very easy to just slam on the wrong pedal or do the wrong thing in a panic situation as you don't think straight. Powering through a corner can sometimes help correct understeer, but usually on rear wheel drive cars.

Well I've driven my last Micra for over a year. In every situation I've had to act quickly I've never stepped on the accelerator....

exactly i havent been driving for long and i was ####ting myself with panic so im sure you can understand what is an easy mistake to make in that situation.

A person to needs to be wise in such a situation where he can act upon a speculated judgment, to ensure the safety of himself and his passengers based on the circumstances at hand.

A person to needs to be wise in such a situation where he can act upon a speculated judgment, to ensure the safety of himself and his passengers based on the circumstances at hand.

okay then soo ... everyone knows what to do in an unexpected slide whilst pannicing about hitting a tree and trying to avoid hittin other objects, do they?

Nah i didnt even attempt to brake, i knew that it wouldnt do anything but as the car gripped and went into the inside of the corner i had to accelerate and the bring the front of the car around a bit else i probably wouldnt have a front left! lol. - i've repaired it now well kinda.. but ill get some pics later n post them if i can find out how too :)

You don't expect your car to fly off the road at every bend though, otherwise you'd be driving around like an old granny the whole time. When it happens, you've got 0 time to think about what your going to do, as your already across the grass verge in panic mode doing whatever you feel is right! I spun out last month, i didnt stamp on the accellerator but you can't say "a little less lock or a little more brake", as you've got 0 time to see if that's correct or not.

Clearly you've never been in such a situation, maybe you think you have, but you haven't. Its never as black and white as "I wouldn't make that mistake, thats stupd"
When a body experiences a panic 'oh crap' situation you freeze and your muscles tense, if you haven't practiced the correct response to such a situation then your not going to instictively do the right thing.
My cousin reversed into a tree because she pressed the accelerator rather than the brake because she saw the tree coming up and go nervous, hit thr wrong peddle, if you haven't much driving experience its easily done.

That is some bad luck there mate, you should try priviege next time cost me £50 a month fully comp and I've only been driving a year.

n627483323_1341745_9677.jpg

Hmmmmm, I'll give you a Caramac for the car, it's the best I can do.

well, i had a scary moment on saturday in the snow and wrote off a VW golf GTI mk5.... but i didnt panic otherwise i would have writen my car off too..

i simply let go of the pedals, dipped the clutch and turned into a bush.. (the only way i could stop the car) and he slid down the side of me with locked wheels....... cos he panicked.

its about how you know what your car will do and mine was months of going too fast in my work carpark in the ice and rain and yanking the handbrake on.....then correcting the slide...

That is some bad luck there mate, you should try priviege next time cost me £50 a month fully comp and I've only been driving a year.

n627483323_1341745_9677.jpg

Hmmmmm, I'll give you a Caramac for the car, it's the best I can do.

lol mines gona be sooo expensive now iv crashed tho aint it ?

im gonna get a new micra asap cos i hate not driving ...pffft!

Clearly you've never been in such a situation, maybe you think you have, but you haven't. Its never as black and white as "I wouldn't make that mistake, thats stupd"
When a body experiences a panic 'oh crap' situation you freeze and your muscles tense, if you haven't practiced the correct response to such a situation then your not going to instictively do the right thing.
My cousin reversed into a tree because she pressed the accelerator rather than the brake because she saw the tree coming up and go nervous, hit thr wrong peddle, if you haven't much driving experience its easily done.

LMFAO that is exactly true .. you really dont know what to do it all seems to go soo fast and you dont have time to think about whats happened let alone correct your mistake

youre insurance will change on your renewal cuz i wrote off my fiesta going into the back of another car and got a micra the day after and the insurance was cheaper! ha.

well, i had a scary moment on saturday in the snow and wrote off a VW golf GTI mk5.... but i didnt panic otherwise i would have writen my car off too..

i simply let go of the pedals, dipped the clutch and turned into a bush.. (the only way i could stop the car) and he slid down the side of me with locked wheels....... cos he panicked.

its about how you know what your car will do and mine was months of going too fast in my work carpark in the ice and rain and yanking the handbrake on.....then correcting the slide...

EXACTLY!
As much as the police seem to hate it, i think people learn a tremendous amount just by going into a wide open wet/icy place and ragging about a bit, using the handbrake, setting up cones to try and slide through. It teaches you loads about car control so when you return to the road your a safer driver for it!

Shortly before i sold my K10, i lost the back end coming round a corner down one of my favourite roads, because of the new tires the back was a bit twitchy (because instead of having good on the back and ok on the front i now had good all round) and i went across a huge patch of mud, back end shot out (i was doing about 60) but because i'd experimented and also been on a few courses i managed not to panick, turned in, a little bit of gas it fishtailed a bit but i kept it on the road. I then slowed down and reminded myself not to be an idiot. Point is if i hadn't been on my slide control course AND experimented with my own car i would have lost it, no doubt at all.

If you read earlier posts, it says I was kidding. So clearly you're looking for an argument.

Also, "Clearly, you've never been in such a situation, maybe you think you have, but you haven't" is pretty must #### pulled from your ass. Silly claim. You have no basis to stand on; not everyone makes the wrong decision at crucial moments.

If you read earlier posts, it says I was kidding. So clearly you're looking for an argument.

Also, "Clearly, you've never been in such a situation, maybe you think you have, but you haven't" is pretty must #### pulled from your ass. Silly claim. You have no basis to stand on; not everyone makes the wrong decision at crucial moments.

If you'd took the time to read when my post was submitted, it was two minutes after yours, which you hadn't posted when i was writing mine, i didn't see you had written it till after mine was submitted.
You wrote three posts about it so it seemed unlikely when i wrote my post that you were 'just kidding'.

Your right not everyone makes the wrong decision at crucial moments, my point is sometimes you have as Arnold said 0 time to make a decision so your reaction is purely instictive. And instictive reactions are usually wrong unless practiced.
If you had time to figure out what to do in your situation then you clearly haven't been in a situation where you have no time to make the decision you only have time to react. And since more than one person is telling you this maybe you should realise it isn't a personal dig at you.

Well I lost the car a few times in my younger years, spun off at roundabouts etc.. Once when my dad was teaching me to drive (fast). It always used to be the lift off oversteer that caught me out. However, I can say that from the point of control being a challege to the vehicle comming to rest, I never once made a concious decision. It happens so quickly it is all natural. Fortunately for me things have worked out well each time. I could have killed speedle once. Fortunately didn't work out like that. Am I the only one who gets a massive buzz from crashes?? If someone was hurt I'm sure it would be totally different, but the pure adrenaline buzz is incredible!

If you'd took the time to read when my post was submitted, it was two minutes after yours, which you hadn't posted when i was writing mine, i didn't see you had written it till after mine was submitted.
You wrote three posts about it so it seemed unlikely when i wrote my post that you were 'just kidding'.

Your right not everyone makes the wrong decision at crucial moments, my point is sometimes you have as Arnold said 0 time to make a decision so your reaction is purely instictive. And instictive reactions are usually wrong unless practiced.
If you had time to figure out what to do in your situation then you clearly haven't been in a situation where you have no time to make the decision you only have time to react. And since more than one person is telling you this maybe you should realise it isn't a personal dig at you.

You're the one making the assumptions, not everyone else. It doesn't take 10 seconds to choose a decision that is the best for the given situations that can occur on the road. 1~2 seconds or so, in these situations, one's mind should me made as to what is the best thing to do. This is how I think, I've had plenty of times where I've had to swerve out the way, went sliding through ice, what have you. I make these judgments before-hand as I assess the road ahead of me. I'm not saying I'm a perfect driver, but I am certainly aware of the dangers which in essence gives me more time to choose the decisions I make should awful things occur. One should be driving within the limits of their car and their personal experience. I follow these 2 rules and I haven't crashed yet.

Jinta there are situations where what you said is not true. For example when I nearly killed Matt. I got hit on the left rear wheel by a taxi on a duel single traffic piece of road. He was in my blind spot when I started changing lanes (due to circumstances I wont explain but it was massively unlikely he would be any where nearer than 50 meters behind). Anyways, once the collision happened, totally unexpected, I didn't have 1 sec to think. After 0.1 secs I was spinning, after 1 sec I hit a lamp post, after around 2 secs we were stationary. I think you should consider situations like that before coming to a conclusion.

I'm not saying whether you are a bad driver, your having a go at me telling me that i can't comment on your situation, fine, but you passed judgement on someone elses situation.
The whole point of black ice is you don't know its there, yes you should be driving according the conditions but sometimes its hard to choose between 'granny slow' or making progress. And i've had many situations where ive had to make quick decisions, i'd have been dead a few times over by car drivers pulling out in front of my motorbike if i didn't, i'm simply saying if you have never experienced a situation before, i.e. car sliding out of control it can all happen so fast that you have not time to make a decision nor the experience to make it correctly.

If what we are told is true, its not like he went 'Lets see how fast i can take this bend maaaate', he was driving what he thought was a sensible speed, but something (black ice) took him out of his personal experience into new territory and in a panic a wrong decision was made, thats how people react, there would be very few crashes if they didn't!

Obviously there are situations where one cannot control or counter the laws of physics with a steering wheel, caused by drivers who do not give courtesy to others. I am only referring to situations where one can make a quick judgment, and safely get themselves out of situations, should it even be the choice of the lesser of 2 evils. There are a lot of different circumstances that can take place in different situations on the road, I'm trying to refer to situations where one should be able to foresee; such as black muddy ice.

I'm not saying whether you are a bad driver, your having a go at me telling me that i can't comment on your situation, fine, but you passed judgement on someone elses situation.
The whole point of black ice is you don't know its there, yes you should be driving according the conditions but sometimes its hard to choose between 'granny slow' or making progress. And i've had many situations where ive had to make quick decisions, i'd have been dead a few times over by car drivers pulling out in front of my motorbike if i didn't, i'm simply saying if you have never experienced a situation before, i.e. car sliding out of control it can all happen so fast that you have not time to make a decision nor the experience to make it correctly.

If what we are told is true, its not like he went 'Lets see how fast i can take this bend maaaate', he was driving what he thought was a sensible speed, but something (black ice) took him out of his personal experience into new territory and in a panic a wrong decision was made, thats how people react, there would be very few crashes if they didn't!

I said you shouldn't assume, not make a comment.

Solarice! ??? have you been drinking my brass monkey?

nobody plans to.....and that notion is as good as a chocolate fireguard as far as lowering the risk of not having a scrape or worse..

PMSL

I need another brass monkey after that!

lol, it wasnt a genuine statement...if anything it was meant as, im under no illusions that these cars (or any car for that matter) are safe to crash regardless of their * rating...after all im rather attached to my right leg...and so i will do everything i can to try and make sure im never involved in an accident.

going 35mph+ around a bend in the snow/ice is as good as trying to crash the car on purpose if you ask me...though accidents do happen and its quite easy to be caught out. (no offence intended micraboy2k, just an observation based on the info posted here, as ive never driven on that road or been in that area, so ive no idea what its like to drive along...plus i dont know the exact conditions of the road at the time you lost control.)

my mental image is the road is quite a tight bend...which is what ive based the above statement on.

Anyways, our little debate is far from factual. So please, no one comment on my past posts. I hate feeling obliged to having to visit this thread.

Just let it go Jinta, no need to defend yourself. I am a hypocrite in that I didn't follow my own advice and got banned.

lol, it wasnt a genuine statement...if anything it was meant as, im under no illusions that these cars (or any car for that matter) are safe to crash regardless of their * rating...after all im rather attached to my right leg...and so i will do everything i can to try and make sure im never involved in an accident.

going 35mph+ around a bend in the snow/ice is as good as trying to crash the car on purpose if you ask me...though accidents do happen and its quite easy to be caught out. (no offence intended micraboy2k, just an observation based on the info posted here, as ive never driven on that road or been in that area, so ive no idea what its like to drive along...plus i dont know the exact conditions of the road at the time you lost control.)

my mental image is the road is quite a tight bend...which is what ive based the above statement on.

no the road has a very slight bend with a bump on the top and it slopes slowly down to a main road.. the bump was very slippery and managed to make me slide somehow.

rite ... i have spoken to the police and they have been very good to me and the policeman has offered me a driver improvement course instead of points and fine ... and i have also bagged myself a 3 door 1.3 LX 1994 micra for £400 :) and the insurnace is only £65 more than it was for the 1 litre lol :s

Not for that amount of damage, however I think getting out of the above crash alive & losing the car is enough punishment, as no doubt it will shake the reality of what could have happened into you. points & fine is just salt in the wounds!

did anyone really believe it was just an accident?

Personally I'm giving the benefit of the doubt. it has been dodgy driving conditions, he may have just lost control. Maybe he was going too fast, who knows? But he's learnt from the experience and hopefully it won't happen again.

Where is peoples' compassion tonight?! Maybe it's just the illness messing with my mind and making me agitated...

Personally I'm giving the benefit of the doubt. it has been dodgy driving conditions, he may have just lost control. Maybe he was going too fast, who knows? But he's learnt from the experience and hopefully it won't happen again.

Where is peoples' compassion tonight?! Maybe it's just the illness messing with my mind and making me agitated...

A lot of us have got fed up with the chavtastic way this site is going, SOME OF our new members seem to be the sideways McDonalds hat wearing kind

A lot of us have got fed up with the chavtastic way this site is going, SOME OF our new members seem to be the sideways McDonalds hat wearing kind

Fair point I suppose!
But at the end of the day, if they admire the cars - the Micras - and help to change people's conception of Micras by creating a more 'not-so-octogenarien' image then it can't be all bad. As long as we don't get pointless yobs on this site, all is good!

We all love Micras, and Micra's are love ;)

Fair point I suppose!
But at the end of the day, if they admire the cars - the Micras - and help to change people's conception of Micras by creating a more 'not-so-octogenarien' image then it can't be all bad.

We all love Micras, and Micra's are love ;)

But we don't want micras to become the new corsa

Back