Bit of advise please...

Paddy

The runaround
Site Supporter
Hi folks I've been ducking and diving through the forum since I recently acquired my micra and have read a few threads recommending fitting 1.0 pistons to the 1.3 engine for more power by increasing the compression ratio. I'm assuming that the crank in the 1.3 has a longer stroke and has shorter piston arms than the 1.0. Is this the case? I know most things on the micra is interchangeable so is it just a strait swap and what do I stand to gain? Also I had a few mil skimmed off the head so will this be a problem when fitting the 1.0 pistons. Any input would be much appreciated and thanks in advance.

yes paddy, a longer stroke and shorter rods, but the gudgeon pins are an interference fit and have to be pressed out tho
you end up with a C/R of about 12:1 (similar to a 2mm headskim)
and going by mine it makes the engine more efficient (i,m getting surprisingly good fuel milage)

So will it be fine to fit the pistons along with the skimmed head? Will there be enough clearance? I've got a 1l engine lying doing nothing that I was gonna sell so might as well use it as a donor.

So will it be fine to fit the pistons along with the skimmed head? Will there be enough clearance? I've got a 1l engine lying doing nothing that I was gonna sell so might as well use it as a donor.

it depends how much was skimmed off paddy, its more a det problem than a contact problem (especially with stock cams)

it depends how much was skimmed off paddy, its more a det problem than a contact problem (especially with stock cams)

I see, well suppose its trial and error at this stage then. Think I'll give it a go anyway, I can always use the head off the 1l with the 1.3 cams if I have any problems. Or do you reckon I won't really gain anything from replacing the pistons that I haven't already from the skim? Thanks Frank

Off topic but how do you thank people's posts?

Back