Engine ideas. Couple of choices. Come give opinions :)

Hey there people. I've got a lovely opportunity for my little Beasty to drag some more fun out of it :)
Basically Im not sure what to do with my next engine plan and would appreciate some ideas/suggestions.

Current engine spec is:
998 completely standard short block.
Lightened flywheel
Larger micra facelift gearbox which is the same as the late 1.3 I believe.
1.3 cams fitted and dialled in to make up for chain wear (filed cam dowels)
Cbr600 carbs on homemade steel manifold, jetted to suit engine.
Megajolt for the ignition side of things.
Rover k series exhaust so 4,2,1

With all the above should be about 70bhp I think correct me if you think it's less than that.

Now I have access to.
1.3 block with worn piston rings (as in fubared)
2mm Skimmed cylinder head with new valve seals and valves freshly lapped.
998 block with head (head removed)
Standard micra intake and throttle body
Welding skills

Now my question to you engine builders is this.
Option one:
Theoretically fit the 998pistons to the 1.3conrods along with the skimmed head and have a simple NA high comp 1.3 and run it on the carbs I have. However That should be done with a bore hone and new rings or it may not even work.
Hone is say £40. New rings £100 so that's £140 plus the cost of gaskets for that option

Option two:
Overbore the 1.3 to 72.5mm and fit corsa Pistons. Fit skimmed head to this and it'll end up standard compression (approximately). Run it on the carbs as a simple NA
Overbore maybe £80 new Pistons with rings £130 so £210 plus gasket costs

Option three
998 standard engine that's currently fitted. Fit small turbo and run on charged carbs
Will require faffing around with the carbs for fueling And potentially new manifold fabricating along with new exhaust manifold etc being made
Say £150 for turbo and all associated bits

Option four
Overbore the 1.3 to fit corsa Pistons. Fit standard head. Turbo it and run on charged carbs
£210 for overbore and Pistons and £150 for turbo = £360

Option 5
Overbore the 1.3 to fit corsa Pistons. Fit standard head. Turbo it again.
run on megasquirt and fit bike throttle bodies potentially
Costs £500 plus

So who has an opinion. Money isn't unlimted and I've already shoehorned the engine into a mini so obviously no suggestions of fitting something stupidly big

No ideas a bad one
Many thanks
Lawrence

So option 5 then Frank. I was leaning towards that but obviously costing a stand along ecu is costly!
How would I go about the stock ecu tho? Or is it a matter of tricking it to run by adjusting injectors, fuel pressure etc?

frank

Club Member
stock ecu and a proper rising rate fuel reg or £50 piggyback mate, i ran an engine testrig on the garage floor, and it was very easy to set up

You already know my answer. Option 5

You do know that the 998 and 1.3 blocks are identical ? It was just the stroke that changed.
Only saying so that you can pick the best out of the 2 blocks you have

I hadn't thought about the block differences in all honesty. Well it would make sense to send the worst one to be machined leaving me with a good spare! I now need to get my hands on a stock pre nats ecu which is going to be entertaining