Anyone here rent a garage?

Arnold

www.alanarnold.co.uk
Site Supporter
I've just been offered one about 50 meters from my house, for £8.50 a week. I think that's a pretty good deal? Not sure what sort of saving it would do for my car insurance though, but was on the waiting list 2 years and there's only 1 weeks notice if you want to give it up which is excellent.

Does anyone else on here rent a garage/drive space and what rates do you pay?

just over £10 a week here for a council garage, great deal mate! snap it up if its in good condition, the storage will be great for other things too

just over £10 a week here for a council garage, great deal mate! snap it up if its in good condition, the storage will be great for other things too

True, yeah it's a council one. When you say good condition, what could possibly be wrong with it? Leaks etc?

if its a council one and it has leaks or dodgy door then you can request it to be fixed through the council

The ones near me are owned by a company.

They charge £7.50 a week.

The garages will just about fit the car in though...barely any space either side. I assume yours is the same?

I'm the 4th person in line for one of them!!

Mine has tons of space :D
SLX04.jpg

Thats still got another few foot behind aswell.

And they are coming to stick a new door on in the next couple of weeks.

yeh just the basic structure and the doors and frame etc. if there not right get them done before you start loading it up, like already mentioned the council will send someone out to you but its not always very quick and can be a few visits before they fix it

I'm not sure how big they are really, will fit a car, just don't know how much room either side, front / rear. I know garages can be broken into quite easily but i'd rather that than having it outside my house to get keyed like my micra did!

behind my new house they have demolished the free garages (they cam with the house) then rebuilt them and are asking for £10 a week for rental.... and they are exactly the same construction as the old ones....

anything for money hey?

Like one of these:
hasps.1.gif

But have it bolted to the door so that is bolts down into a hole in the ground, or sideways into a hole in the wall.

Or you can get something like this for about £40, if it is council rented you may be able to get them to give you some money towards extra security as it is there property.
ABS302.jpg

they padbolts are crap, im not gonna give any secrets on how to get through one but if your gonna put any on stick about 4 lol just so that if anyone is wanting in they have 4 to go through and will probably give up

Seems like a good deal, they're about £13 a week areound near me IIRC - what I would advise, though, if if you can hang some old blankets/bubblewrap on the sides where you open the doors to avoid chipping all your paint away. They're not amazingly secure as I've gained entry to numerous ones by a bit of arm power before - what have your insurance said about the savings?

Craig

I've just been offered one about 50 meters from my house, for £8.50 a week. I think that's a pretty good deal? Not sure what sort of saving it would do for my car insurance though, but was on the waiting list 2 years and there's only 1 weeks notice if you want to give it up which is excellent.

Does anyone else on here rent a garage/drive space and what rates do you pay?

i pay 6.50 mine and thats up north so its not a bad price at all mate

I haven't called the insurance company yet. Even though i know it's not secure, i feel better it being parked in there than where it can be keyed outside my house! My girlfriend's moving house soon and i'm hoping she gets one with a driveway/garage so i can dump it there instead lol

Woop woop, picked up the keys now it's mine :D

Here it is! Quite a bit of space. The front of the corsa was practically touching the wall.

garage.jpg

That's cool then :D

the woman said when i got it that i couldn't store fuel, animals or children in it!! lmao

well done arnold. you got the garage for the starlet what youre gonna get? its got a little air vent lol

nice, i take it there is no power or lights ?

might be an idea to get a cheap genny for lights or tool power.

i have a long drive - drive down the back of the house and a garage :)

get some old carpet and tape it too the wall so you dont scuff your doors.

get some old carpet and tape it too the wall so you dont scuff your doors.

That's a great idea mate, cheers!!

nice, i take it there is no power or lights ?

might be an idea to get a cheap genny for lights or tool power.

Because it's about 50 meters from my house, and in a block of 10 garages at the back of some houses, i'm not sure if i want to be working on the car so much up here. I'd rather keep the car / location is discreet as possible :)

Back