Anyone ever converted their Micra into a camper (seriously)

There's loads of reasons i went for a Micra ..good lookin', cheap, nippy, i could go on but i'm not goina preach to the converted here. To be totally honest i really wanted one of those little micro vans like a rascal but they dont come in an automatic (####ed leg in a bike episode, still ride tho')
Reason i wanted a small van was for my business (photography/design/printing) and it had to be real small 'cause the roads here (Torbay) are mostly pokey little country lanes, pretty bad now and gridlock in the summer, it had to have enough room to transport my canvases and prints up to about 1.5m in length (just measured the critter today and with the back seats and passenger down i've got just over 2metres).
I shoot lots of different subjects but lately i've been doing a lot of land/seascapes and i need to spread my wings a bit further..Cornwall, Wales, Scot' Highlands, lake district, wherever!
Finally:laugh: to my query. I'll need somewhere to stay on these trips and i'm not paying £50...£100 for hotels and i hate B&Bs.. so camping it is...plus i love camping (did Spain last year on my bike)
sooo my plan is to turn the Micra into a little single berth camper that can be used as a van when needed.
I've got a few ideas, i'm not decided wether to do an awning type deal hanging off the hatch or maybe a mix of both, the back seats will prob have to go and i'll bed it out with plywood, maybe try to fit a caravan leisure battery in somewhere, could easily put a 240v hook up for caravan sites but i'm hoping to do more wild camping. Lights, fridge/heater, def' power for a laptop, the list could go on.
Anyhoo..thats the plan...any of you guys done anthing along those lines?

First things first tho' i'm gonna sevice it next week and sort out a few snags.

PS
Thanks to all you guys who chipped in with my wheel size question

OOOps soon as i posted this the field below poped up with 5 similar threads...guess i shoulda used the search...anyway i'd be happy to hear first hand experiences

iirc kev did it years back with a k10 check out the archives i think it was back at the start of the msc

It was james wasnt it?

supermicracamper.jpg

Now that I'm learning welding, I'm seriously thinking of doing this. Remove the passenger seat and weld in a new mount for the spare in the footwell. Build up the height to match the back to form a sleeping length area. Maybe a small cupboard in the rear with a 12v kettle and stuff. Could be really cool :).

It was James, fully converted prefacelift k10, i didnt see it but saw pics at JAE 2006 i think? I know if you typed the reg into a checker it comes up as a camper too so i think he had a engineers report?

Thanks guys..keep em coming...wouldnt mind seeing an interior tho'

Nice camper 1275....first car i had was a 1275 GT mini..after reading a few reviews on the Micra i had hoped to try to relive the handling the mini had...to be honest i'd say its more fiesta than mini at the mo'..looking at what some of the guys on here have done i'd say its pretty do-able Decent tyres and struts would be a start but i must say the brakes on the micra beat the mini hands down.

Ive been thinking about this and to be honest its easy peasy if you really sit down and work out what plan of action you are gona take......All depends on wether wich micra would be the best for the conversion . I.E overall length and dimensions e.c.t e.c.t

What you really need is an Imported March Box just for the extra space............

7dced07f556a83684439381001c50340.jpg

I found some more Pics of that K10 camper too...............

Note the electric ‘Hook Up’ at the front.
Micra1.jpg

The Kitchen
Micra2.jpg

The Bedroom
Micra3.jpg

The Dining Area
Micra4.jpg

At The Rear
189314387_fbef219efc.jpg

ALSO heres some inspiration from the rest of the motoring world!! LOL
car_rf_web.jpg

car_lb_web.jpg

saab-tiny-camper-toppola-third.jpg

saab-tiny-camper-toppola-second.jpg

LOL
1993-volvo-240-polar-camper.jpg

Thanks guys..keep em coming...wouldnt mind seeing an interior tho'

Nice camper 1275....first car i had was a 1275 GT mini..after reading a few reviews on the Micra i had hoped to try to relive the handling the mini had...to be honest i'd say its more fiesta than mini at the mo'..looking at what some of the guys on here have done i'd say its pretty do-able Decent tyres and struts would be a start but i must say the brakes on the micra beat the mini hands down.

Thanks, I like to think of mine as a modern Austin 1100 (my first car) they only need 35mm lower springs and some decent 185 tyres on 6" wide rims to feel great. Mine feels more or less just as fast as the mk1 BMW cooper, not quite in the same league in handling but amazingly my Micra has reached a faster top speed than I ever got from the Mini!

Sorry for being off topic. Those last camper car conversions look great.

It was at JAE 2005.

jae04.JPG

jae05.JPG

There's other pictures around of James lying in it. The funny thing I remember is James standing up to get changed and we pushed that lid box thing down on his head, haha!

Arnold said:
There's other pictures around of James lying in it. The funny thing I remember is James standing up to get changed and we pushed that lid box thing down on his head, haha!
:doh: was my reaction to that! :p

I sold it last year to some old gentleman for much less than I paid for it :(

He emailed me a few months ago saying it was for sale again, I replied to him but heard nothing back, although a quick check on the DVLA shows it's taxed until May next year! :D

Great pics Silvia...thanks everyone.

@ James..dear,dear...that was/is the doggies dangles,...wish i hadda seen the Ad when you were flogging her.
Ive seen motorbike trailers where the top half is not unlike that pop-up roof...Hmmmmm

Back