A few questions to start me off!

Hello ladies and gentlemen!
I'm new around here so just hought id post a quick thread to ask a couple of questions as im getting my first car tomorrow :grinning: Im 18 and from Grimsby btw if anyone lives in the area.

So im picking up a 1.3 Micra Si tomorrow from Manchester and driving it 2 hours home, which im slightly nervous about! Firstly ive asked the guy a couple of questions and seen pictures and it does look in very good condition, but what are the usual suspects i should look out for on a Micra?

My first plans are to drop it. However my insurance wont allow me to go 50mm or more. Ive looked on ebay for lowering springs but the lowest i can find are 35mm, then 50, not seen any 45's. Noticed a lot of people tent to chop their springs, is this legal? I want to do things by the book as much as possible really.

After lows will be banded steelies hopefully, then ive heard the Almera airboxes are a nice cheap and cheerful adition. Would it be worth declaring this on insurance seeing as its standard Nissan?

Also thinking of getting some tools i.e jack, would a tourque wrench be needed for changing rims or would i be okay just doing them up as tight as i can with a normal socket etc?

Another thing is i was thinking of replacing parts that are easily replaceable, i.e spark plugs, oil filter etc, any reccomendations things to replace to give it a bit of a freshen up? It's just had new brake pads.

Im sure theres a few more that i've forgotten but anyway here's a pic, what you think? :grinning:
aaa1010.jpg

aaa1012.jpg

Cheers

A torque wrench is necessary for all sorts of jobs :). You can guess but for brakes and suspension work etc, I feel happier knowing the torque values are correct. Don't do wheels as tight as you can either, you'll over-tighten. The wheel bolts on the K12 are 77ft/lbs which is nowhere near 'as hard as you can' :).

A torque wrench is necessary for all sorts of jobs :). You can guess but for brakes and suspension work etc, I feel happier knowing the torque values are correct. Don't do wheels as tight as you can either, you'll over-tighten. The wheel bolts on the K12 are 77ft/lbs which is nowhere near 'as hard as you can' :).

I never use a torque wrench! I just know when something's tight, the only time I use them is when the torque has to be right like head studs
Wheel nuts can be as tight as you can providing you don't snap them but a good mechanic can feel when they are tight enough anyway

@auto test yeh i got it and drove it 2 hours back. Drives fine tbh no problems apart from squeaking on full lock? Its not been lowered but sounds like tyre rubbing.

Anyone know what the best wrench to get would be and also cheaply?

Also thinking about drilling the airbox for a little more noise however i dont want dirt and grit getting in. Would it be better to drill the pipe the other side of the air filter? And how much?

Cheers

Back