Advice: RUST treatment on wheel arches

Hi Guys
I have been quietly following this forum since last year when i purchased my first K11 & found out the front crossmemeber had rusted & needed treatment.

Now i have another rust issue. The car is generally Immaculate for its age. I noticed few rust marks on the rear arches but failed to act on them. Now they have become quite visible & i am starting to be concerned.

I am looking for advice how best to treat the rust spots as winter is approaching with a possibility of daily drive through salt lakes. The rust spots i believe can be sanded down but what tools are best to use for that? Obviously i have to find a matching paint spray. How do i find the paint code & do i need to treat thesanded surface with something before applying paint? Where should i buy my paint from?

Thank you for helping out. I must say i love my micra. Still Runs perfect after 12yrs of service.

Thank you R69bp
As i mentioned the rust isnt that bad yet. It appears as a stain but if left for a while surely soon it will start to bubble. So according to your information i can sand down the rusty stains. How about applying the spray paint directly instead of Jenolite? Or can i spray over the rust treated surface? sorry i am a novice when it comes to treating rust hence the questions.

Hi Molvees,

As you say it is only a stain for me I would still lightly rub the rust stain away with a lesser(150) grit graded paper in that case but in order to stop the rust trying to come back you will need to treat it so that the rust will not come back and and get much worse which can lead to the more expensive route bodyshops LOL, then you can by all means paint the area.
Honestly it is not that complex and you might even enjoy it LOL! but don't be tempted to skip the treatment.

let us know how you get on.

Thank you very Much. I will give it a go.

By the wayhow do i get the paint code for my car & where is a good place to get the paint. Cheers

With Wheel arch rust dont forget to clear out the inside of the arches .... scrape out with fingers/blunt spoon and then sponge and lots of soapy water ...... especially the inner lip .... crud collects there and this is usually what causes the rust in the first place .... so clean the inner arch lip well .... sand down and get rid of all the rust .. treat with rust treatment inside and outside .. then prep and spray .... and then .... waxoyl inner arch .... dont paint waxoyl over crud ;)

Keep the inner arch clean and waxoyled and you wont get rusty arches ...

Thank you Tony & R69bp

Good information there. I think you have correctly pinpointed the root cause for rust on the arches. I am now going to order the bits that i'll need & get on with the task.(Y)

Big M