A word of warning!

Robb

Site Supporter
Dont undertake unless you have ABS!

Just got in from work but very lucky to say that, still shaking a little. So there i am on my merry way home, on a typical road that changes from one lane to a dual carriageway and back etc. (national speed limit, central reservation), just overtaken a Rover 75 (its the law) and im about 300 yards from a set of lights (on green) and about 50 yards from a fiesta dawdling along in the right hand lane (no right turn at the lights btw) 40mph at the most, im doing about 60 so i think oh no problem i'll just breeze past and the ignorant git with no understanding of lane discipline wont even notice.

Oh how i was wrong, they decide to waft onto the left hand lane as im a cars length behind! Reflex is to jam the brakes on, steering wheel is slightly to the right and from what i could tell i locked all the wheels as the front just went, sending me into a 90-120 degree spin, doing 60! I then travel about 50 yards perpendicular to the road down both lanes! God knows how i didnt hit a curb! Left a huge cloud of smoke in my wake, come to a halt (didnt stall it :)) and quickly set off before i cause an accident!

Ive had a few close calls and would just like to add i wasnt even giving it the berries, just have my metaphorical tail between my legs, although having said that i had to chuckle a few minutes after it happened, as my gaffer saw it all before overtaking, im gonnna get it ripped tommorow.

I think your post should simply say 'do not undertake, period'.

As you found out, undertaking is dangerous and also technically illegal for that matter. If you were driving sensibly and defensively this would have been a potential danger which would have easily been prevented.

Doesn't stop morons sitting in the middle/outside lane doing 50 though...

Good to hear you and your car got out of it alright. Just don't undertake is my rule. Most morons on the road don't check their left mirror or their left blind spot when moving back in. Thankfully, for over drivers, I do, after a sticky situation when learning, but not everyone else does.

Your fault in they eyes of the law, but full points to him for being a clueless idiot.
Lucky the road wasn't to busy!

Edit: And yes, agreeing with people above, most people who've ridden a motorbike will always check mirrors before any maneuver and i still do a lifesaver over my shoulder!

:eek: Scary!......that sounds like a 'phaaarrrp!' moment ;)
It's amazing how you still missed everyone on the road :wow:

I've done the same thing...only once mind....I had no choice as the perpetrator went from the slip-road into outside lane doing 30 on a DC whilst I was overtaking @ 70, so nowhere to go except for the inside.

You got a name for the road that happened on, redditch is all roads and no houses :laugh: it's just so I can get a proper picture in me head.

All in all, even though you made a wrong decision. You avoided the worst. Emphasis on the You. Well done! I'm glad you aren't in a hospital right now. Just be careful next time.

I totally agree and ive been in plenty of situations where i will wait or sit in the right lane til the dozy git notices. I was a complete idiot my hands are up, i decided to post this though as a reminder to make sure its recognised that undertaking is bloomin dangerous.

Although tbh if i had ABS i would have created much less smoke. :laugh:

under taking is dangerous.

However

If you sit behind someone long enough, you know they're not going to pull in and it will be pretty safe to do that procedure.

it doesnt hurt to give someone a quick blast of the horn if they're in the way and wont move over either. The horn is there for a reason lol

Glad you are ok though

blah blah illegal, blah blah stupid. Glad you came out of it with only a dented pride.

Pull back into lane one and sit at 10 to 20 degrees (shallow) to them so that your not in their blind spot, you've got braking distance should you need it and when they realise you're there you can swap positions easily by dropping back letting them in then power on and round them. Smooth controlled and considered, no sudden moves.

Pete, out of interest (and im not stirring, just curious!) If a policeman/ambulance has emergency, can they undertake or to they also consider it too dangerous even in emergency??

We'd sooner not, always go for the overtake if possible. People aren't used to cars passing them on the left but generally people don't know what to do when you come at them on B&T's anyway. If the traffic is static or slow moving then filter between parting traffic but if its flowing, cycle through the sirens and use the horn to make people aware you're there.

I remember watching road wars, and they said they only undertake in extreme circumstances on the motorway or dual carraigeways.

Back