A few questions

Hi all, ive owned a few K10s now, first one was years ago, and 2 in recent months, one written off sadly.

but now i have me an LS, its a facelift whereas the previous was a pre-facelift.

i have a lot of spares i took off the old one, like the dash clocks for instance..
problem being, the plugs are different, has anyone tried to fit pre-facelift clocks in a facelift car, i have the old plugs, so if its a rewire then im sure i can manage, the clock is something i really miss as is a trip counter!

also, does anyone know if there were any changes made to the steering system in the facelift, as it feels very slow on turn in compared to the pre-facelift!!

thanks

pork... did u own a mini? yes i have spares, but no body work... got taken out by a mk3 fiesta.. gutted really!

sr20bud.. ha ha ha handbrake feels weak compared to the other one i had.. gunna be spending some money on it when im back at work.. hmmf!

frank... no it doesnt feel like understeer, it feels like either a tyre whos sidewall is destroyed, or a slower rate of turn. the other one had such a good turning circle, this one just doesnt!

im going to try the clocks, the plugs are very similar, the facelit plugs fit, just they are missing one terminal, im guessing thats for the clock, so if i wire in power to that if all my other theorys work out, ie the rest of the clocks and warning lights work, thats the only thing left will be the clock which when they are plugged in wont work!!

ill try and get some pics while im doing it, i miay well forget like normal tho!! lol

thanks chaps

pork you should own one before they get too rare! mini ownership is a massvie family, nothing like any other car ive ever owned!

clocks defo dont work from a prefacelift car, all the wires are different colours on the plugs for the prefacelift clocks! massvie headache, all i want is a trip counter! lol

also, the plug for the wiper stalk is missing a wire so i cant even pop the stalk from the facelift into this one, anyone handy with wiring? can you tell me if intermitent wipe is controlled by a relay, or is it as simple as running an extra wire to the motor?

might be the tires under inflated or something i never noticed the turning circle issue with mine. it turns in pretty well tho. when i first got it it was pretty weird understeered in second when you stamp the throttle so i put 35psi in the fronts and 40 in the back. sort of cured it but still isn't that great i just see it as fun :p tho if you want to go fast you really do have to cut the twisty's dont recommend this during the day tho lol. i think the only real way to cure it is a nice set of wide banded wheels and a decent suspension setup but the you will notice the chassis flex a lot more :grinning:

yer tyres are gunna be checked later when i go and put some fuel in it!
ha ha ha if you set urself up for corners you dont need to cut, even if im on a spirited drive i tend not to cut, as its a bad habbit to get into!
plan is some 13x6 or 7s to go with the coilovers i already have, they were going on the first one you see!
yer chassis flex is lame, but i work for an engineering comapny, so i can get as much steel as i want pretty much... and ive got a mate whos got a welder... weld some sort of under body bracing like you kits you can buy for civics/integras that tie everything together to keep it noiche and toight! :p

that awesome if you have the resources then mate. be sure to post some pics so i can nab a few ideas :laugh: im yet to brace mine. it will be all getting done in the summer just want to get it running first. yeah the cutting corners thing is a bit of a bad habbit lol but its saved my arse a few times i dont do it unless its like 2-3am i wouldn't dream of it in the day. infact i drive like a granny in the day lol theres to many other idiots on the road to risk it.

yer sure im never far away from my camera!! will prolly messure stuff up and take pics when its on the ramp having the sills welded and coilovers fitted!
with the rears we have come to the conclusion cutting the mount off the axle and making a mount up and rewelding it will be easiest, but as ive got golf coilovers they are longer than the polo ones, so we may well be turreting the rears, then bracing the turrets :D big win if it all goes to plan!

turns out the clutch was just mis adjusted... seems fine now, and changes gear fine now idle speed it where it should be!

what do people do for wheels, theres not many other mfrs that have a center bore of 59.1 or more, just renault and MX5s... altho ive seen people running civic wheels, do ya space them to clear the spiggot??

have just fitted my old wheels, 12" from the prefacelift... wow.. who would have thought 13s would feel so slugish!
also reattached the filler neck to fuel tank...the old jubilee clip wasnt holding anything!!

Back