• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

Last night i got the drivers side pulsar brakes done and also loaded a new map onto the car. i had sent the one from my car to baguette and he managed to tidy 2 areas up where my mapper couldnt adjust at the time (turns out the section near the top of the rev range was acting as a fuel cut which explains the 6300rpm limit) so upon loading that the rev limit was instantly 6900rpm and i thought **** it and decided to have a little tweak myself! Turns out i needed to start from scratch from about 3500rpm upwards but i think i got there and there is a noticeable improvement in terms of coming on boost and the revs through the gear changes! here a few pics of the maps:

original map
image-15_zps02b2996a.jpg

armando's tweaks
image-15_zps86b62dc8.jpg

my go :p
image-15_zpsdd371bc4.jpg

the low rpm high load areas are still to be sorted but when i was mapping last night i cant see me ever being in those areas so its fine to run at the moment.

Also high up the revs in 4th the wideband shows high 11's which will be slightly lower at the same rpm in 5th

Long story short, i broke the car last night! Cant select any gear when the cars running which is similar to what happened about 6 months ago when i had to replace the clutch and gearbox (input shaft bearing caput) i may have saved the clutch this time, only time will tell. Whilst the car is immobile ive been thinking of taking the turbo stuff out for a few months as theres minor bits i need to fix (input shaft bearing was one lol) and ive just not had time to do it in car. Theres also an oil leak on the chain side of the engine but theres a chance its from the half moon rocker gaskets. Ill think about this over the next frw days then make a decision :)

sounds like the friction plate could,nt take the remap stani ! pull it back to 10psi these cars were,nt designed for 3 x stock hp :)

Hmm i may never get to where i want to be without spending alot more money (which i dont want to do) was wanting to go 17psi when i get back on the rollers too.....

First thing first i need to get it apart and see whats gone, but for what im running and what i do to the thing im surprised its lasted so long! :)

Ok mate, ill get it apart and consider my options. Little money to be upgrading things at the moment, i know i have 1 last gearbox which id prefer to replace the bearings inside juat to see how things gear up, the last 2 had knackered bearings from the beginning and over double the horsepower is to going ro repair them LOL in all honestly i hope its the clutch

This all come from going out late last night and doing some map tweaking, i was stranded in the middle of no where at 12.30am haha. Anyway from the 4th gear consult log i saved last night i made up a map this morning. Realise my previous map should be similar on the afr from about 50 on the load scale up to my max tp load of 71 higher up the revs instead of a gradual build up. Would love a dyno in the back garden lol heres a short vid of what im working on

No but it does look rather mean at the front and with a bit of poke :D, hoping its pretty practical too as i need space for bikes in the boot :L

Best get buying your friend a part for his car seeing as he let you borrow it :D

No but it does look rather mean at the front and with a bit of poke :D, hoping its pretty practical too as i need space for bikes in the boot :L

Best get buying your friend a part for his car seeing as he let you borrow it :D

Yeah there bigger than micras inside, hes only had it 1 1/2 weeks lol

Managed to get the car apart tonight, and once I pulled the gearbox off from looking at the release bearing and shaft it fits onto that all seems ok. Remover the pressure plate and clutch and that all seemed fine at first but shaking the clutch plate I could hear a rattle which wasn't the springs, I then had a look at the pressure plate and all seemed fine until shaken too, then a piece fell out from behind the pressure plate. But I just couldn't see where it come from, turns out it was a piece of the clutch.

Can someone tell me what they think has happened?

Being to rough with gear changes...
Gearbox broken which then caused the damage to the clutch....
Clutch broken and this piece has jammed in the pressure plate stopping me from selecting a gear...
All of the above LOL

image-15_zps70fd800d.jpg

image-15_zps79c28d32.jpg

image-15_zps23ee9179.jpg

image-15_zps500ff532.jpg

image-15_zpsefd42085.jpg

simply the cushdrive letting go aint it stani :) LUK FTW :)

So do you think my gearbox is ok? I'll still do what I planned to do from before this happened.

When it did happen when I pushed the clutch in and tried to choose gear it simply felt like I wasn't pushing in the clutch at all but couldn't get it to crunch apart from reverse.....

as long as there,s no play in the shaft bearing ? then its simply too much power for the friction plate eh :)

I'm going to replace that bearing before I put the car back together anyway. Along with a gearbox oil seal from the linkage shaft, so while its open (not that I know alot about gearboxes) ill see if I can see any obvious damage

I'm going to replace that bearing before I put the car back together anyway. Along with a gearbox oil seal from the linkage shaft, so while its open (not that I know alot about gearboxes) ill see if I can see any obvious damage

Checking for metal in gearbox oil would probably have been the quickest way to tell :)

I've gotta admit i dunno how you manage to kill so much stuff lol...you've gotta be in the lead for product limit testing :D

Checking for metal in gearbox oil would probably have been the quickest way to tell :)

I've gotta admit i dunno how you manage to kill so much stuff lol...you've gotta be in the lead for product limit testing :D

There was the usual amount of fine metal on the gearbox plug, and I really do give my car a beating! I understand it anyway ;)

Opening it up is easy enough, i'd have a spy even if there wasn't any concern just out of curiosity. :)

My old gearbox had lots of fine metal in the oil (looked a bit like those limited edition J20's) and even opening it up there wasn't any obvious damage...it was swapped out as it had an oil leak and i had a spare available anyway (cheapest fix) , so i dunno how healthy the box actually is.

If you know then that's all that matters :D

Opening it up is easy enough, i'd have a spy even if there wasn't any concern just out of curiosity. :)

My old gearbox had lots of fine metal in the oil (looked a bit like those limited edition J20's) and even opening it up there wasn't any obvious damage...it was swapped out as it had an oil leak and i had a spare available anyway (cheapest fix) , so i dunno how healthy the box actually is.

If you know then that's all that matters :D

Cool mate, I went to nissan after work and for a new input shaft bearing, input shaft seal and linkage rod gearbox oil seal its about £55 so once I open the box up and have a gander ill then order those bits. Unfortunately I can't find the receipt for my clutch as I would have got a free replacement as its within the 1yr warranty. I guess I'll keep the receipt from the new one I buy and use the clutch I've just broken to get another clutch FOC in a few months time ;) keep it on the shelf as spare lol

I also need new coolant as I went to all the bother of getting a new bucket, being careful when draining as I was on the street this time, and when I went to funnel the coolant back into its container to reuse I somehow dropped the whole bucket on the street :( nightmare!!

Cool mate, I went to nissan after work and for a new input shaft bearing, input shaft seal and linkage rod gearbox oil seal its about £55 so once I open the box up and have a gander ill then order those bits. Unfortunately I can't find the receipt for my clutch as I would have got a free replacement as its within the 1yr warranty. I guess I'll keep the receipt from the new one I buy and use the clutch I've just broken to get another clutch FOC in a few months time ;) keep it on the shelf as spare lol

You ask nissan about a discount? you can usually get a bit knocked off. :)

I also need new coolant as I went to all the bother of getting a new bucket, being careful when draining as I was on the street this time, and when I went to funnel the coolant back into its container to reuse I somehow dropped the whole bucket on the street :( nightmare!!

Sod's law ain't it.

Tonight was gearbox night my aim being to take it to bits, inspect for damage and be confident enough to pit it back together after an input shaft bearing change. Heres where im at:

Where it all starts (in the kitchen)
image-15_zpsb3d6bd9d.jpg

Get it on the side as theres always more oil in there, casing ready to be removed
image-15_zpsa0a81e7c.jpg

Casing off ready for the tricky bit!
image-15_zpsa5a290d8.jpg

Nearly all out
image-15_zpsb235b0f7.jpg

This was the tricky bolt out the lot!
image-15_zps98196f0c.jpg

Short video of the bearing noise, Opinions? Sounds just like when my rear wheel bearing was noisy
http://s1038.beta.photobucket.com/user/stani1029/media/IMG_6249_zpsd3ca02a8.mp4.html

Also a few marks on the gears, nothing to worry about?
image-15_zpsde7c8b37.jpg

image-15_zpsa06d9c8c.jpg

Went to nissan and ordered the input shaft bearing with a new split/retaining ring as I bent the previous one upon removal, also ordered a new linkage rod oil seal and ill sort out a new clutch before the weekend and hopefully have the car running again on Sunday. This has actually been the longest it's been off the road since its been a turbo and its not even been an engine problem!! Cannot wait as this almera is achieving terrible mpg's driving it like a saint :(

Right I've managed to sort out the new parts, also got a new front support bar only cause it was cheap on eBay ;)

image-15_zps2afe51b5.jpg

image-15_zpsea98d07b.jpg

The selector shaft seal is the wrong one in the pic above as the boot I have is too large to fit properly, took it back to nissan and they seemed like they couldn't find another one, so they call me up later that day to say they have traced another one down

image-15_zps596f609a.jpg

image-15_zps1e48b637.jpg

Still not the right one! I've stole this pic from polly, I need the one on the RHS

image-15_zps8cbaafd5.jpg

I've still to go back and see what I can do, regarding the input shaft I tried to knock it off but it's clearly pressed on, so got my gear puller off the back shelf and tried that but still no luck!

image-15_zps3be95a7f.jpg

So took the lot down to a guy I know who does gearboxes and within a couple minutes the bearings swapped BUT he then noticed there was play on the inner hub at the top of the shaft above 5th gear, he took it all apart and tried a good one he managed to find out of many bits he has but there was still play so my shaft is for the bin! He then offered me the one for £20 (bargain) and then swapped the new bearing back over. He also noticed the dog teeth were very chewed for 5th on my old one and was surprised it never slipped out of gear before

Old bearing off
image-15_zps84610227.jpg

Different shaft with no play at inner hub/good teeth and new input shaft
image-15_zpsaf193efc.jpg

Now to rebuild my gearbox, hopefully tomorrow night. If I struggle the guy will do it with his eyes shut!

Got the gearbox built today, because it was the first time ive reassembled a gearbox it was a bit of trial and error on what goes first etc.

image-15_zps2f506738.jpg

image-15_zps7f7a2a5b.jpg

image-15_zps3f89a25a.jpg

Still not sorted the selector shaft seal so im going to remove it tomorrow and straighten it up and refit, hope to have it running tomorrow! The only doubt is that i damaged the O/S cv joint thread upon removal :( time will tell

image-15_zps384da1ed.jpg

With banzai magazine visiting crail next month and the car back up and working I need to get some tyres for the front, some spare steels/alloys and some stock rear springs. The tyres I'm going for are maxsport rb5's as they're cheap, have the size I want, road legal and seem to have decent reviews online

image-15_zps38454f5e.jpg

Probs be looking for some 14" micra steels for them to rest on

And have the drama of constantly swapping tyres when I want to go to crail? Would prefer to just swap the front wheels the night before, 25 mile drive to crail on those tyres and swap them back when I get home

On Thursday night I loaded a new map on the car but the estimated AFR compared to the actual we're quite far out so last night I adjusted it all and loaded it onto the car and it's the map ill be using from now on, at full boost the AFR's sneak up to 12.0 and through the gear changes it is just so much of a difference with not being overly rich ('twas 10.0 before)

Looking forward to crail, anything better than my previous 14.645 will put a grin on my face :D (would love a 14.4)

Saw you at crail today mate, cant remember what it was but you were smoking whoever you were racing when I first clocked you haha :p

You should have come over to say hello, im not overly happy with today though. Was just too wet when theres boost involved!

Banzai on the 5th, Bring it on!!

P.s. yours a 1.0ltr?

Was there anything close to a 1.0l micra at crial today stani? everything you listed sounded boosted like a mofo :L

Ill have to get to a cruise or something so i can get a proper look at your car :D

Was there anything close to a 1.0l micra at crial today stani? everything you listed sounded boosted like a mofo :L

Ill have to get to a cruise or something so i can get a proper look at your car :D

To be honest no lol they were all new VXR's etc, people with too much money but not enough power HAHA! And banzai is the next best thing I'll be at

hi where did you get your springs from mate?

From Matt Humphris of Oxford do a google search

Back