30mm - is it worth it?

Heya folks,

In your opinion - is a 30mm drop worth it? I'm on the skint side, and having checked the for sale section there are some springs going.

Anyone have any photos?

I'm on stock 13" alloys right now, and could just use a bit of stiffening as im used to driving a big saloon on 17s.

Many thanks,
Emz

I've had 35mm springs on before i upgraded to coilovers, and the difference was noticeable both in handling and the overall look of the car.

Really down to personal preference. :)

I've heard good things handling wise, although I think you'll be disappointed visually.

I'm thinking of 40mm springs long term. You won't exactly be making sparks, but it looks like they should close the arch gap nicely and it's a sensible drop which won't mess the underside of your car.

Yeah, I know you said 30mm, but measure out 10mm and you'll see how little difference it makes. I heard that the car sags a bit over time as well, so you might get better results than expected.

Also, @IrishK11 is on 40mm springs and his car looks awesome :O
http://www.micra.org.uk/threads/my-new-k11.58914/page-2

well, i need the micra to be my "sensible car" as my mini is around 7cm off the floor. I want it looking nice, but not ott. I guess just take away the monster truck look

But you are sure right @IrishK11 's is looking great. Maybe a swap to 14s and 40 is the way to go. Thanks for the link :) easier to see it than describe it.

Yea my 40mm really made a difference handling wise and on 14s the car looked epic. Have since gone down to 13" wheels and feel it could now go lower but overall still very happy with it

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Depends if your motivation is one of performance or going for the slammed look.

I've yet to lower a K11 past -35mm on a performance related basis.

I'd NEVER go below -60 for performance, tbh I'd probably be -50 but corsa shocks limit your maximum height somewhat!

hi my k11 is lowered 40mm handlings better looks a bit lower but I think 60mm would be better these springs will be up for sale soon has im going lower.

cheers

On my old ka I had 40 drop and with 14" and that was perfect (for me) car was stock but tidy look and it just closed the gap enough to stop you seeing behind the strut. Based on that ive got 40 drop for the micra.

If the 30 are a bargain grab (as you said ypu were short of cash) I saw something on a car show the other day but now sure on the exact hows and how safes etc, but they heated a section of the spring with a torch (and the car had a lot of extra weight because of their project) and it started to gently compress.

Could be worth a go if you fancied a little extra after seeing? I inagine you would be best getting a small section hot enough and only letting that part go to much and sort of work along the coil until your happy but would beed to cool the right way and not sure if theres more chance of it breaking lol

Using an oxy acetylene torch to heat springs to compress them is an old custom trick from the 50's. Didn't think anyone still did that now that it's possible to get springs made so easily.

its more i need to put a few hundred in to my mini (i may have blown up the engine... oops) but i cant drive a stock car lol

thanks for the input folks, i think ill be having a looksy come pay day

Back