• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

1400 rally car shenanigans

Okkkk.....
So after the last rally I had a couple of issues, namely the bolts for the rear drivers-side damper falling out somewhere during special stage 8 (Ooops) and snapping a front stud. Only half an hours work, but nowhere had the right bolts so had to order from Nissan and took aggeeessss to arrive :(
So it cost £15 for two bolts, two nuts and a wheel stud! Not cheap, but rather be using the correct parts and know it's sorted properly.

Whilst all the suspension is accesible, I lowered the car 25mm again so it looks a touch better for Japshow Finale this weekend ( :D ) and to help on the PodKhana event, hoping to really push hard for a high result this time.

Changing the stud without the 'correct' tools was very easy....
Take the wheel off, and remove discs and caliper.
Soak the stud in WD40/GT85
Use a large G clamp, on the end of the stud to behind the hub and just wind it until the stud starts moving, then tap it out with a hammer
Put the new stud in, and pop a load of washers over the stud then thread an old nut on and just screw the nut down till the stud is seated properly :)

E2kTafbRAJ_8eKHGAyLzchoJ_N8pOnDS56POzv4WH8iGWMQE09qoSRu6wi0YIM9Ms_MoWWhnc_oiOCrXd1FXGe0iFOtSiRJRWlWZemCCg1SDLSRi380Jpqw7MXJdb9aWehZtxVBXlJ5V3wdWn8VsB_SLde0eoO1b9vXtlGyLoawOPJjc0ho98vXNeCUXyXagOD6kQ6sQzk6p03-DKfHEK0gvRkk6bSiPGptvxjjLB8ju5pZI1Fds-aW2zk3tfgzI9DSyK3M4FV056W02qmJr4oGMyt_sWvEKWSSCuNj9webjS_pPfThLHTjy1kjIE14X63ziR_HeBkEOCGo05dcv6W2LxqYLWg-AeKrfSZEOBujRrYPXgbF8cvPWdrQis2JIP0mZvb-9mjMFnti_7cVcR2RXLiCguUn4lWMD1tKIHN5b5BSi_8M3qNZLEYQZU-aPu1jNyS9eqXQ5nMXWqtfVm1yh3TvnuwPXjNW2u2hsj2y3dvVz8BvDz-b9-O5YSOwQZFbvdcCE_6-obk6o5PWNU1QahOW6FZ6737LZ7vcspNM=w554-h979-no

Nice and shiny.... Would have done all four but Nissan only had one stud in stock.

Then I got bored and painted some tyre names in with Tipex [HASHTAG]#yolo[/HASHTAG] as they say
bnYSnO6kIG2KPLwad-HEa3ibZbyqT4REB7fzB7ps0aUX2zRvIZo3SroASK1VFkPFXjkk-uVDtA4Ge-SznnA2im5JWLnJ49XgEALQlE85xrNMCTs5Ix7eoEbWCOlDVK4_oXooP6nyIFM4gZAPhWi0MLbRBMMYWNy0BJMTLaupBiGnG-JGF66S1sWVwHer3vEg-2xhp6CKq6vAlHm4G6xdU0Xv3cd2oywpLj56cuSXSe5QOVdT7Mkii6dnQqq9GX90WZIEqKHzuSpkDCbaxdRVIkoEwLanqF38iau15smlMmAo5nZcSUdHcTECSvwil8SjalycEiKkdgrN4yAlKIcvpsClsu-DJ60BHjBOZ8U1v7-RNTqk5jsYvnJvmJiFW021QkYHBiUjSqdUUiHNOIkHOBIPD_yBT_zISr0x1SOxciOC1w0Gz6e4GaF0BWzHOF1c6k282VR3ZZ6MUowarrMhp-m56wwcfG-iyK7I18-a206VPXmk3LjXMaIBkdcyJSmplveP0P-HDY6ekH0ftqGuJIwqWvDqNid4Qd9hvvWrSsM=w1732-h979-no

Tested the compression today, it's a basically standard 80k cga3 and got 175psi dry, 180psi (across all cylinders) wet which seems good.

I guess at least that means the problems are narrowed to down to either spark or fuel, will get new plugs and coilpacks in soon.

The vent being the spare of the three pipes in the engine bay mate (after removing the carbon canister) or is there a vent at the rear as well?

the 2-way fuel tank vent pipe.
during parking it allows excess pressure of vapours to flow out the tank, carbon captures the HC, remaining gas vents out.
during running it allows air to enter the tank whilst the fuel volume goes down & equalises the pressure.

if the vent pipe was in any way restricted, the tank would create a lower vacuum pressure as the fuel volume decreases.
this lower pressure applied across the fuel supply & return lines would fight against the fuel regulator and begin to reduce fuel pressure which could lead to lean-out.

it's abit like trying to continuously suck a drink through a straw that's sealed onto a solid container, it get's more difficult till u can't extract any more.

Tomorrow, tomorrow I shall remember to test for vacuums! If it vacuum that's nice and easy...

Still got the fuel starvation problem with less than 3/8 tank. @SuperUno do you get this?

As far as I can tell I'm not having vacuum issues, checked the other week.

Been speaking to Matt Humphries who thinks it could be due to an ecu issue, so recommend I get a 1.4 ecu and try that seeing as they're cheap. I've also welded in a lambda nut for the second lambda sensor the coilpack cars have, might make a difference however most rally people don't run them.

Seeing as it'll be easier to fit the ecu with the dash out (correct me if I'm wrong please people) im going to strip back and neaten up the bits I've added to the loom at the same time.

ECU can be taken out with the dash in - it is a pain though... I remounted mine where the glove box used to be.

Taking the dash out if the cage is in is V V V tricky....

ECU can be taken out with the dash in - it is a pain though... I remounted mine where the glove box used to be.

Taking the dash out if the cage is in is V V V tricky....

I've had the dash out before, wasn't easy but I trimmed the dash massively which made it vaguely easier to install.

I'll try first without the ecu then, I'm right in saying the ecu is right up in pretty much the middle of the dash?

As far as I can tell I'm not having vacuum issues, checked the other week.

Been speaking to Matt Humphries who thinks it could be due to an ecu issue, so recommend I get a 1.4 ecu and try that seeing as they're cheap. I've also welded in a lambda nut for the second lambda sensor the coilpack cars have, might make a difference however most rally people don't run them.

Seeing as it'll be easier to fit the ecu with the dash out (correct me if I'm wrong please people) im going to strip back and neaten up the bits I've added to the loom at the same time.
that lack of 2nd lambda is probably causing some sort of limpmode eh

Stripped the dash out of the car today, only took a few minutes in the end!
Ecu is out and the new one should be arriving tomorrow :)

Got the exhaust lambda nut welded in, but stupidly I marked it up in the wrong place... Ordered a bung for that hole, and welding a new nut in the correct place this week!

Also stripped a fair bit of wire out of the car from the stereo and door sensors etc :)

I've had the dash out before, wasn't easy but I trimmed the dash massively which made it vaguely easier to install.

I'll try first without the ecu then, I'm right in saying the ecu is right up in pretty much the middle of the dash?

Bottom / middle part of the dash - easy to find, a pain to remove!

NO!!! Unless you get a heated screen, seen loads of rally cars struggling on cold / wet days not being able to see anything out of the car.

NO!!! Unless you get a heated screen, seen loads of rally cars struggling on cold / wet days not being able to see anything out of the car.

Really? Oh fair enough
Just had a quick look at the car anyway, it's all one unit so would be a massive pain in the arse to cut it down! I'll leave it be haha

People have mentioned the mini blowers when I've been researching online, but as you say it'll need me spending some money!

Saving at the moment for a 421 manifold, cams and grpA airbox from Matt Humphries :)

This airbox is so f...ing nice but I am not spending £300 lol.
Primera box for now and I might experiment with a c2 at some point.

It is very nice, and very expensive... But you can't find anything else like it for a micra!

Bit of a monopoly market eh, can charge what he likes! Definitely want one though !

The ECU is easy enough to remove with all the dash in. You just need to attack it from both sides to get at the bolts. You won't be disappointed fitting the 1.4 ECU. When I did it was like a different car.

The ECU is easy enough to remove with all the dash in. You just need to attack it from both sides to get at the bolts. You won't be disappointed fitting the 1.4 ECU. When I did it was like a different car.

Ecu is all out now :) new one is sitting at home waiting for me to fit it this weekend!

Just ordered all the parts from Matt Humphries and Bright spark racing.... Cams, 421 manifold, group A airbox and almera N16 1.5/1.8 injectors are go! Never been so excited haha

Last edited:
How will you manage the fuel?

The injectors fit straight into the car with no modifications, and will fuel acceptably well enough without mapping.

But I will be getting my car mapped soon after they are fitted, hopefully before the 6th of December when I have the Rockingham Stages.

Just a post thats really a reminder to myself of whats been ordered and whats still to be done (boring, sorry):
GrpA 773 Camshafts from MH
GrpA Airbox from MH
4/2/1 Janspeed Manifold from MH + Gaskets
Catch Can
100NX 1.6 Calipers ( Still need to order pads/discs)
Gold Insulating Tape ([HASHTAG]#BareBling[/HASHTAG])

Almera N16 Injectors 1.8 from BSR (Hopefully)
Uprated Engine Mounts from BSR (Hopefully)
Remaping standard ECU - Tornado Systems (Hopefully)

Too much money this lad^^

it should go very well once that's all dialled in fella

I've been working my arse off at Waitrose stocking them shelves like a Mofo, and only done 3 rallies this year so saved by not competing :(

Can't wait now! Couple of weeks and everything will be fitted, then comes mapping!

I've been working my arse off at Waitrose stocking them shelves like a Mofo, and only done 3 rallies this year so saved by not competing :(

Can't wait now! Couple of weeks and everything will be fitted, then comes mapping!

I hope you know I was only pulling your leg mate :)

If its the 2" bore 4-2-1 you might find its quite tight to the exhaust tunnel / ARB (especially if its uprated) I gave mine a few tweeks in the end but they are well made

I hope you know I was only pulling your leg mate :)

If its the 2" bore 4-2-1 you might find its quite tight to the exhaust tunnel / ARB (especially if its uprated) I gave mine a few tweeks in the end but they are well made

I did guess, you can hardly talk considering the spec of your car :p

It's the janspeeds one so not sure, the guys I've got fitting it make custom manifolds so I'm sure they'll get it right :)

Last edited:
All the parts have been delivered :D
Sending the ECU now to Mark at Tornado Systems to get chipped - He's making my 1.0 ECU think its a 1.4, whilst also mapping it to remove the dead spot these cars have mid RPM, as well as ensuring it'll run well with the cams and injectors. He's saying cars running similar setups have achieved circa 130hp at the flywheel with this map, so should be getting over my target of 100hp at the wheels :D

Wrapped up the airbox with Gold reflective tape due to them getting melty in some cars, will make myself a heat shield when the 421 is on the car. IMAG1523.jpg

All the parts have been delivered :D
Sending the ECU now to Mark at Tornado Systems to get chipped - He's making my 1.0 ECU think its a 1.4, whilst also mapping it to remove the dead spot these cars have mid RPM, as well as ensuring it'll run well with the cams and injectors. He's saying cars running similar setups have achieved circa 130hp at the flywheel with this map, so should be getting over my target of 100hp at the wheels :D

Wrapped up the airbox with Gold reflective tape due to them getting melty in some cars, will make myself a heat shield when the 421 is on the car.View attachment 45951

Nimbus grill is very good if your making a heat shield up

Back