• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

1400 rally car shenanigans

Ermmm you can...

You are allowed to go 25% above the largest engine (petrol or diesel) as sold in the UK.

So 1348cc + 25% = 1685cc - Thus a GA16 should be fine, although the extra weight of the GA lump may mean you don't do it.

If the Diesel was ever sold in the UK (was it?) then even bigger lumps would work.

As for the Fiesta, they are very nice bits of kit a mate has one, but in true Grp N spec they are slow. Only 150bhp in a heavy car, our Micra has a better power/weight ratio than a Grp. N one of these.

I think £14.5k can be better spent.
GA is only 30kg over the CG and gives a fair whack more torque. Few cheap and simple mods see 120hp 120lb/ft of torque.
Think you could achieve that and have £13.5k spare

How dya think H701 could be rallied? :p

Or get a motorbike. They're pretty cool I think :D

Ermmm you can...

You are allowed to go 25% above the largest engine (petrol or diesel) as sold in the UK.

So 1348cc + 25% = 1685cc - Thus a GA16 should be fine, although the extra weight of the GA lump may mean you don't do it.

If the Diesel was ever sold in the UK (was it?) then even bigger lumps would work.

GA16 isn't that much heavier than the CG me and @h701micra workd out, the extra hp and torque outweighs the additional kg

edit just seen andys post :p

I know you need a shorter log shaft with the RS5F31A, and there is a bigger diff spline. But having lifted both at different times I don't recall either one being noticeably heavier.

Decided to bling up the engine bay...VHT wrinkle paint, in blue obviously.

Bought a cam cover of eBay, was cheap and thought why not? :)
Looked tatty...
20140522_223045.jpg

Lots of Mr Muscle oven cleaner and a wire cup later we had a vaguely clean cam cover (Did clean it up more but no pics)
20140523_212314.jpg

Painted it up with some cheap black VHT.
IMG_20140525_201103.jpg

Practise polishing up the raised area, excuse the c+ck up in the middle
20140526_155402.jpg

And then after careful masking, several coats of VHT Wrinkle plus blue were put on and heated a lot of between coats. Not an uber wrinkly finish, but it's not fully dried yet and there's a knack to using it that I don't posses...

Cooking Cover:
20140528_210417.jpg

Finished cover:
20140529_180948.jpg

Then decided to paint battery hold down, due to boredom....Much more wrinkly, painted it a different way:

20140529_181622.jpg

20140529_181717.jpg

Last edited:
I'll have a spare coil pack one soon, you can have it for a small fee... Or I could paint it for a bit extra I guess, got lots of paint now

7 Avon CR500's for £82...one tyre new costs £100 odd :D

Not much life left in them, probably about 4mm max on some, a couple are near enough on the limit already.
Get them mounted up and hope for a dry rally to see what they're like :)

Attachments

• 1401747368862.jpg
    1401747368862.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 345
Ah pics didn't load last time for me, hence question.

Already done that, replace the twin lights for a single LED one designed for a bike, VERY light and bright and draws very little current.

Had a brilliant day at the Wolds rally, 1st in class by 2:13, and would have placed 21/33 if I was in the main field.

Few good photos,

Managed to clip a few haybales a good few times, then had a 'good' clip. Poor Navigator stuck in the car whilst me and mechanic tried various things to push the wing away, finally settled with a hammer :p

Noticed the rear suspension isn't as it should be... Tried to fix it but the nut just spins? If it's an easy solution let me know, if not I'll take it to the garage and get them to lend me a hand. Never fiddled with suspension before

7mm "brake caliper" allen key and a ring spanner, not an open end
Turn the allen key only, clockwise to crack the seal then use the spanner :)

Sorted out the issues with the suspension, also took apart the other side and greased everything, no more annoying squeaks :)

New rubbers on the exhaust, doesn't rub anymore.

New pads, obviously followed by the quick bed in processes for the weekend.

Drilled the light into the boot after the main boot handle became loose... Ripped it off, cut off one light and bolted in the other :) crude but works

20140813_201928_zps3ccc805b.jpg

Boring update, mainly here to remind me what I've done...

Last edited:
Bloody hell where to start...

Fitted a tacho dash (green digital one)
Re-did the wiring for my spot lamps (think I did it wrong but can do it again later :p)
Wired in the map light for my navvy (definitely wired properly...)
Got the suspension sorted out by Andy @h701micra. Sitting nice and low now as well as a fair bit stiffer and I gained an adjustable panhard rod :)
Almera airbox fitted
Coil air feed fitted to the airbox
Cut and shut the carbon canister mount to get it lower to clear the airbox.

Another boring update, just keeping track of what I've done. Pictures will come in a bit :)

Took a class win and won the Silverstone Junior championship at the Rockingham stages 2014!

Conditions were damp so tyres were at 28 front 27 rear (Yokohama A439's). Had circa 12mm preload on springs and had 15 'clicks' on the front dampers and '20' on the rear. Car was set up loverly, minimal understeer and slightly twitchy at the rear... This is just for me to refer back on later :)

Will get pictures and videos up later

Back