• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

1400 rally car shenanigans

Does anyone now prices to get an engine rebuild? Just like a ballpark figure?

Hopefully getting my exhaust on in a few weeks, will get pictures soon.
And will be ordering a enclosed induction kit soon too :)

The engine itself is fine, i just want to clear out all the build up that accumulates over the years, re-boring and all that :)

Does anyone now prices to get an engine rebuild? Just like a ballpark figure?

Hopefully getting my exhaust on in a few weeks, will get pictures soon.
And will be ordering a enclosed induction kit soon too :)

Honed bores, light skim & a full set of bearings and gaskets was about £330 on my CG13 mate as a ball park figure

My dirty car did some more stripping today,

Headlining couldn't come out in piece due to the roll cage

***Headlining up for sale, slight damage***

comp2-resize.jpg

Could you run 165/175 wide tyres on a 6 1/2" wheel and still be good for rallying? By which I mean not likely to pop of bead?

Not the f1000's....cars are much more than standard engined (no offence) and i simply can't afford to be in such a competitive championship, so I've entered the Silverstone junior championship and also do sprints/hillclimbs :)

Haha I don't take offence to that, I agree with you! I've just turned 17 so I'm out of the juniors now, so I'm sort of glad that I can do what I want to the car! But the road car is my focus right now, once that it sorted, I'm hoping to do some single venue events and maybe even a cheeky Epynt next year!

It will probably just stay in the garage until my road car is half done! Maybe keep it as a 1.0l and do road rallying, plenty of those in Wales on the weekends :p

Got some money saved up at long last...

Big question, power or handling? As of the moment i have no upper or lower strut braces, but i also have a completely standard engine.
Should i go for an induction kit and a manifold baxk exhaust (as per my regulations) or for induction kit and strut braces?

Of course I'll say handling... you need weight saving as and where you can if you can...
How much you got saved if you dont mind me asking. I can help better then :)

Of course I'll say handling... you need weight saving as and where you can if you can...
How much you got saved if you dont mind me asking. I can help better then :)

Uhm dunno... Stripped some stuff, still got bit's to do i just don't know what bits can go etc and i also hate touching wiring as i often break it

Leave the wiring be just incase :)
Go for handling. You're limited in your class as to what you can do power wise

Yeah, i just want noise though :p ill have to do a bit of both i guess..

Sprint coming up at Blyton this weekend or next i think, ill see what improvements on time i can make with strut braces or something

Lower brace first. Custom X brace would be better tbh
Make it noisy then :D you don't have to buy handling bits coz i said :p

At Blyton park today doing some sprints :)
15 secs over 3 miles behind a lotus elite turbo and 20 behind a single seater 2.0 :)
Not to bad for me

Started off with 203 second laps, ended up with 185'# :) track dried up for the end, car gripped rather well until the back slipped out QUITE BADLY.... Caught it but made me get brown pants.

Should get out on all surfaces ;)

Will be able to come out with you soon

Sign up for the next year's sprints? I got a good 20 miles driving today for 75 quid :D

Oh, and costs for track hire, £160 for a junior for a full day's hire. If you wanted to do it as well at the same time, it would cost you £80, then £40 if someone else wanted to do it if you get what I mean.
Owner said he'd like only track day cars at the least, full on rally car's are fine, and that he'd also want someone who could act as a 'trainer' for insurance purposes.

Sweet. We need to round up the msc track car crew then :D

Its the same as price our test day I found out :)

We wanna get a list of confirmed peeps and split the cost.
£160 for you, £80 for me and £40 for the rest seems unfair :/

Sweet. We need to round up the msc track car crew then :D

Its the same as price our test day I found out :)

We wanna get a list of confirmed peeps and split the cost.
£160 for you, £80 for me and £40 for the rest seems unfair :/

I guess we would total it all up and just divide by who goes really, he said he'll try to get me a fair price. What licence do you have?

Sign up for the next year's sprints? I got a good 20 miles driving today for 75 quid :D

Oh, and costs for track hire, £160 for a junior for a full day's hire. If you wanted to do it as well at the same time, it would cost you £80, then £40 if someone else wanted to do it if you get what I mean.
Owner said he'd like only track day cars at the least, full on rally car's are fine, and that he'd also want someone who could act as a 'trainer' for insurance purposes.
That's a bargain that!

National A race licence :) BARS and ARDS tested too :)
Will be a National B next year... focusing on the micra

The owner will be happy enough for you to be my 'mentor' for the day, I'll pop him an email when I now who else could make it? Would be great if Paul could make the long trip over

The owner will be happy enough for you to be my 'mentor' for the day, I'll pop him an email when I now who else could make it? Would be great if Paul could make the long trip over
Can get your car set up :)
Could ask @enuo and @SirChris they may be interested too

Awesome, just being on the motorway, 6k for 70mph would be a bit of a strain at the minute lol

Hoping the Oulton park track day happens next year as that's doable with a 5.1 :)
Yea I can imagine that'd get annoying quick. Standard 1.3 box for travels?

Aye Oulton park is looking favourite

Rockingham junior stages yesterday (sat 7th):
1st in my class and beat a couple of adults to If I remember correctly

Anyway, cleaning the car down today and checking everything over I just thought I'd share how cheap the running of the car has been for me.

5 tyres at 60 a tyre (175/55/13 yokohama A539's). These have lasted me 3 rallys and 3 sprints (majority of which I've won my class, so I am pushing it) still have 4mm tread left.

Break pads/disks: first rally I just left what was on the car when I brought it on, braking was amazing, outbreaked many a Peugeot 205 gti :) long story short there's still life in them.

Fuel: £60 of Shell optimax (four 1/4 tanks ish) has been all I needed.

Also managed to get 10 good quality tyres cheaply (if anyone needs some 165/55/13's give me a pm)

No crashes mean no repair bills.

No more than £500 spent on consumable for a good years racing, obviously this doesn't include entry fees etc but it just shows how cheaply competitive rallying can be done.

Back