1400 rally car shenanigans

Enuo

Glorified Electrician
jesus_thumbs-up_pic-1.jpg

SuperUno

Buy & Sell Member
Rockingham junior stages yesterday (sat 7th):
1st in my class and beat a couple of adults to If I remember correctly

Anyway, cleaning the car down today and checking everything over I just thought I'd share how cheap the running of the car has been for me.

5 tyres at 60 a tyre (175/55/13 yokohama A539's). These have lasted me 3 rallys and 3 sprints (majority of which I've won my class, so I am pushing it) still have 4mm tread left.

Break pads/disks: first rally I just left what was on the car when I brought it on, braking was amazing, outbreaked many a Peugeot 205 gti :) long story short there's still life in them.

Fuel: £60 of Shell optimax (four 1/4 tanks ish) has been all I needed.

Also managed to get 10 good quality tyres cheaply (if anyone needs some 165/55/13's give me a pm)

No crashes mean no repair bills.

No more than £500 spent on consumable for a good years racing, obviously this doesn't include entry fees etc but it just shows how cheaply competitive rallying can be done.
Motorsport does not have to be expensive, we did Wales Rally GB for far less than most people would think.....

Pm me re those tyres :)

OP
OP
Huggy444
Motorsport does not have to be expensive, we did Wales Rally GB for far less than most people would think.....

Pm me re those tyres :)

Already got interest in the tyres, depending on if dougy confirms he'll have them. I'll let you know if it falls through :)

I have 5 budget 155/70/13 tyres with at least 4mm that I'd take £20 for but I doubt that's any use for you

OP
OP
Huggy444
@frank

Thinking about raising compression slightly, am I right in thinking the normal head gasket thickness is 1.2mm for a 1.0? do you know of anywhere that sells thinner ones?

frank

Club Member
@frank

Thinking about raising compression slightly, am I right in thinking the normal head gasket thickness is 1.2mm for a 1.0? do you know of anywhere that sells thinner ones?
yes mate :) and i,ve seen thinner ones listed occasionally (nismo etc)

Yeah sounds good well I've passed my BARS Test but I cant get the actual license till im 14 next feb, but i have the papers to prove I passed. And when is it please?

OP
OP
Huggy444

Got my exhaust delivered, bit tarnished and needs a nice polish but it's cleaning up nicely :) Going to try and get it fitted over the weekend, will get some before/after vids too

One question though, it's a cat back system, anyone know what gaskets Ill need?

Only gaskets I got for the PLR was where it joined the bottom of the first cat for mien anyway. Just used exhaust putty and slide the exhaust together for the rest of it :)

OP
OP
Huggy444
Only gaskets I got for the PLR was where it joined the bottom of the first cat for mien anyway. Just used exhaust putty and slide the exhaust together for the rest of it :)

Yeah, been looking at it and and I thought I might just reuse the old one and maybe some putty :)
Just polished it up, found out its a Powerflow custom made thingy mabob :)

OP
OP
Huggy444
The minimal modifying begins yes :)
Getting it fitted tomorrow morning, am stupidly excited...

Only issue is, cars got a two lambada sensors but the exhaust was designed for a micra with only one ( dizzy engine)
You reckon i could leave it unplugged or should I just weld a nut on and plug it in?

h701micra

Deactivated Account

Only issue is, cars got a two lambada sensors but the exhaust was designed for a micra with only one ( dizzy engine)
You reckon i could leave it unplugged or should I just weld a nut on and plug it in?
Weld a boss in mate :)

frank

Club Member

an extended boss will be preferable :) faultcode evasion

mJ-1MzkM9CdlUpToKwlD19A.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Huggy444
the 2nd lambda needs to sense a diluted flow alex (else the ecu assumes the cat is shagged, and flags a mil)

Even though I'm keeping all original cats and manifold, is one of this still necessary? I thought they were only needed if you did a cat delete?

OP
OP
Huggy444
OK! Exhaust is on, massive pain in the arse with lots of seized bolts that snapped, torches to warm up bolts...

But it's on, going to have to weld on a lambda sensor soon but it's running fine as it is tbqh, some knocking I need to sort out though :/

Anyway, before and after video will be uploaded when I'm on a computer