these came today.....

Ordered the 50-55mm lowering spring and spax sports shocks from Matthew Humphries yesterday! Great service from Matt, many thanks to him.

suspension.jpg

I'll hopefully be fitting them at the weekend. :grinning:
Will post some 'before' & 'after' pics once the job's done.

They came to just short of £390 delivered! (But I'm not telling the girlfriend that!) lol.

Thanks, I have a workshop to use so the weather doesn't matter, although, we do need some more sunshine! :grinning:

They came to just short of £390 delivered! (But I'm not telling the girlfriend that!) lol.

Thanks, I have a workshop to use so the weather doesn't matter, although, we do need some more sunshine! :grinning:

lol at the girlfriend bit, I have the same issue that's why I do it all at work, mwah ha ha ha, mwah ha ha ha.

Workshop, some people are just lucky, I have a 2 x 1m shed and the boot of my car (With the seats down of course).

I'll be watching this with interest.

I've looked at the Bilstein dampers and Apex springs (35mm drop) from Rallynuts at £280.

It will be interesting to see what the 50mm drop looks like, are the spax dampers any shorter than standard? as far as I'm aware the Bilsteins I'm looking at are just a standard replacement damper.

pjg: Yeah, she doesn't understand the 'need' to modify! lol.
It's the garage where I work, but the boss doesn't mind me using the place at weekends.

k.pol: Thanks mate, looking forward to getting them done!

1275: Glad I could be of use to you, I had considered the 35mm drop kits, which can be done on standard shocks, but decided it just wasn't low enough! Not sure about the lenghts of the shocks?!

Hyundai: Yeah, it is a lot of cash, I just hope the look of the car and improved handling makes it worth it!

Thanks for all your comments guys. :grinning:

See it's vice versa with me - my boyfriend doesn't understand why I spend so much modifying my car lol

Springs and dampers look good mate, can't wait to see 'em :)

Pah £390, I'm looking at spax coilovers next yer, best part of a grand :D
Be interested to see what that set up is like compared to the bilstein i have.

Wicked - I suppose it's not all bad then! :p
Slammed SLEX would look niiiiice - what happened to you not doing much with it? ;)

She knows how much I'm spending building the historic rally car, so I daren't tell her I spending owt much on the Micra too!!!! lol.

A coilover kit was way more than i wanted to spend, and from what I've read in other threads, they're too hard for road use!

Ian :grinning:

She knows how much I'm spending building the historic rally car, so I daren't tell her I spending owt much on the Micra too!!!! lol.

A coilover kit was way more than i wanted to spend, and from what I've read in other threads, they're too hard for road use!

i have some spax lying around somewhere, and the dampeners are adjustable and so is the ride hight, you can even adjust the number of coils by taking out the spacer springs, so i am sure to make them comfortable you just need to tweak them more

Yeah, I'm sure you're right Nex, I guess if you have them dropped to the floor, they'll have to be pretty damn stiff! I don't have any personal experience with a coilover kit so I can't say much on the matter. Thanks for your advice tho.

Ian :eek:

A days hard work- well worth it...

Fit the suspension kit today, here's a couple of pics for those who're interested.

Obviously- before...

dropbefore.jpg

and after...
dropafter.jpg

Just needs some wheel spacers on the back to bring them inline with the fronts.
Still undecided on which wheels to go for, so still rolling on steelies!

Opinions welcome. :grinning:

Fit the suspension kit today, here's a couple of pics for those who're interested.

Obviously- before...

dropbefore.jpg

and after...
dropafter.jpg

Just needs some wheel spacers on the back to bring them inline with the fronts.
Still undecided on which wheels to go for, so still rolling on steelies!

Opinions welcome. :grinning:

Adjustable panhard rod will solve your alignment issues, as you lower the car it will push the axle to the right.

Hi Mate

I run a demo Micra with the coilover kit fitted and I know what you mean about suspension feeling too hard. Our latest spec of SPAX coilover are very good with improved valving and bigger damper rods. We can also supply slightly softer front springs for people wanting a softer ride. I would recommend trying our demo before writing of coilover kits.

The ride's not much different, just better into the corners, but still comfortable over bumps!

Thanks Broony & Rob, I will invest in a panhard rod and the spacers to get them levelled up evenly.

MM: Thanks, it's low enough for the roads round here, the council loves stupid speed bumps!

Deep dish steelies can be as expensive as alloys so I dunno!
Are those standard width steels, but with less offset in the pic Frank?
I think i'll paint the stock steels gloss black and the outer lip red!

The rear hubs have a centre cap, but the fronts don't, so you can see the hub nut and split pin, if i can get some more from a scrappies, does anyone know whether the centre cap from the back would fit on the front?

Thanks guys.

Thanks for the info Matt, but I've just bought this kit off you, so it'll do me for now!

Attachments

• PICT0033.JPG
    PICT0033.JPG
    90.8 KB · Views: 458
Aarh! I see! I've never thought about cutting up/ welding wheels, wasn't too sure how they would balance up afterwards, but I think I will have a trip to scrappies and try this!
I've been grinding and welding most of the last 3 years as I restore classic sports cars as a job, so I'm definately guna give this a try! :grinning:
Thanks very much Frank!

Back