You've got to be kidding...

... got a call off my girlfriend this morning, turns out the instruments on her dash stopped working. She's had a battery light flickering for a few days, then the airbag one did it - these all corrected themselves but now the speedo, temp and fuel gauge stopped. She hasn't got back in it to see if its corrected itself. Do you guys have any ideas what this could be?

I'm starting to get annoyed with the little car now.

Cheers,

Chris.

Fuse F8 is instruments and reversing lights, so worth seeing if they've failed too. Located down on drivers side dash.

I think he means 1993-2000 and 2000-2003, the second facelift wasnt til the late W reg but if your missus' is an inspiration its most likely the 1993-2000 (or taking into account the facelift the 98-00) category. There should be a chart on the panel cover showing you which is which like anyway like.

It's not the fuse and it's not the connector. I've had the battery checked and it came back at 12.57v so that is ok. The dials work to start with and then fail at a certain rev range. The lights also get brighter when revved. The alternator seems to be ok, isn't making any noises and is obviously keeping the battery on charge.

The needles come back up when the revs drop.

Has anyone had this before??

If it was a bike I'd say the rectifier was gone, sounds like an alternator fault to me. The guy that sold you this car must be laughing right now...

lol - not really as we've got 2 months warranty left :) he seems like a decent guy and there has been 3 months of running with no worries.

Alternator seems to be pushing through so I don't think it's that.

It'll cause the lights to get brighter and dimmer as you rev, or a flickering of lights. It might cause intermittent faults such as your gauge problems. Just test the alternator under various loads, if that's fine then I'm all outta ideas

It'll cause the lights to get brighter and dimmer as you rev, or a flickering of lights. It might cause intermittent faults such as your gauge problems. Just test the alternator under various loads, if that's fine then I'm all outta ideas

It was the alternator overcharging :) She's taking it back to the garage that sold it her and they are fixing it.

Nice to hear it's sorted. Any electrical faults you have in future you can blame on that and get free replacement :p

Back