Does this sound like an auto choke problem to you?

Â

£50beast

This comes from the proud owner of a 1988 1litre micra gsx. it's got 101,000 on the clock and probably weighs a third of its original weight due to rust!!
it doesnt lose oil or coolant and runs like an absolute dream.
well when its started it does!
when i start the beast up it seems like it is literally chokeing itself. it will stall time after time unless i put some boot in. i have to keep dabbing the throttle until it kind of clears itself out. dunno if anyone recognises this or not?
i have checked plugs and leads. they are fine.
had off air filter and round manifold thingy and looked down hole. there is a butterfly type valve on one half. is this anything to do with choke?
i'm afraid i havent a manual so i would really appreciate some pics or some advice on how to sort the damn thing out. my neighbours are starting to get really annoyed with me revving it up every morning at 7:30 when i go to work!!

a one litre super turbo!!:eek: now that must go like stink!!

tried using injector cleaner?
maybe theyre all gunked up and not doing job properly

no i havent tried that.
surely that would be tooooo easy!!
i'll try it though..thx alot

Try starting the car with the accelorator pedal 1/4 to 1/2 way down, also in this cold weather make sure the summer winter flap is set to winter!

Yeah, that butterfly is your choke. Guessing you do actually have an auto choke (black disc on back of carb) Just checking! ;) Just needs setting up by the sounds (had the same trouble!)

This is held on by 3 screws, if you take this off you get the spring and auto choke cam. The cam is notched and should sit on the second step when cold/engine off. If it doesn't there's an adjuster screw somewhere by the idle adjuster. Wind it out so the cam totally unloads, hold the cam in place then wind the adjuster screw back in till it just holds it in place. Check it's not tight and unloads when you apply the throttle & put the cover back on. Make sure it engages the spring and don't forget the washer! There are some notches on the top, line the middle one up with the mark on the carb body and tighten it up. That should be it all sorted if you can make sense of my description :)

Hope that helps.

Your best bet would probably be to get another carb from another running k10. Quite simple to swap and would most probably solve this problem. However I would check the top choke flap is free to move first and also that the black heater element that controls it does work - they do wear

Ed

yep, i do depress the throttle to start and its set to winter on the flapper!
thanks herrspliff, i'll give that a whirl, the idea being the only cost of the car is tax, time and petrol!!
as a runaround though its great
got a cone filter in the garage...........hmmmmmmmmm!!!!

Np, it's against my principles to pay for things on my car too after paying the princely sum of 60 pounds for it :) Had the same problem as you when I chaged over to auto choke with the replacment engine which cost a tenner ;) :D

Long live cheapy git motoring!!

Great site! Last time I looked at that all it had was a tribute to the original book and some reader's stories. It's come on a bit since then! :)

grrrrrrrrr
its turning into one of "those" jobs that plays with your emotions!!!!!
been and taken off the cap and spent a few hours trying out every conceivable way of setting it up. i ended up back where it was when i started!
the choke itself is free to move and i cleaned everything out and lubed it. mechanically it looks like it moves ok what do the notches represent? if it was set to the middle what would happen say if i moved it towards the driver side of the car?
i would say it must be heat related fault but, the car isnt even at running temp when it clears itself out
now i'm really confused!!!!!!!

Try taking the top of the air pan off and get someone to start the engine like this so you can check the butterfly is doing it's job. It sounds like it is working, just not very well. You can tell if the black heater bit is working because it gets hot to the touch quite quickly. Also try starting without depressing the throttle as this unloads the choke mechanism. If this works but blipping the throttle makes the engine stall you need to redo the cam set up :)

Oh, and Buy a Hayne's manual!! They regularly sell on ebay for around a quid ;)

thanks mate
when the throttle is applied the cam is unloaded (when the cap and spring isnt fitted) and the valve flips open. i would of expected it to close so, i figured out that the spring in the cap closes it,when the throttle is depressed, but it seems too weak to do it. thats why i cleaned it all out and lubed it up. trouble is i cant see how the cam adjustment is done apart from the cap notches and the cap spring (which i'm guessing is like a heat reactive bit)
the worst bit? since i've been in there the car has been a real pain in the arse to start and kangaroos until its been run for 1/2 a mile or so!
i love cheap motoring!!!!!!

I'll see if I can get a pic or two tomorrow, it's not the most obvious adjuster! Remember when fitting the black cap there's a lug which you need to engage in the end of the spring...

that sounds like the feller to me!
just hoped i'd got it back together right as it sprung out at me when i took off the cap!
its just not really obvious is it?
i would take a pic myself but unfortunately i only have a stupid little james bond type digi camera which sucks!
thanks ever so much for your help

Speaking of James Bond cameras, that's what I'm using :) Hence the blurry image!!

21-Carb001.jpg

The blue circle is the black disc on the back, the green circle is the idle speed screw and the red circle is the choke adjust screw. My advice would be to take the carb off, it's pretty simple. That's how I did it hence why I thought a description would do!! Follow the steps above & you should be able to see the lever that stops the cam move.

hmm

i seem to be having the same problem as this but i have no idea about k-10 micras what is this winter flappery thing you speak of and where would one find it

Back