Morning, New member :D

Morning guys.
This weekend I went out and got my hands on a 94 micra, in white with nothing but the pure basics for the mrs to learn to drive in. I found one for what we were looking at spending, all good. After being fobbed off by the dealer about "new cam belt, head gasket" etc etc (knowing it had a timing chain) i decided to still go ahead with the sale. The car itself is in amazing condition bodywork wise, but the engine might need some attention. I got her home sorted out the dodgy connection in the brake light and popped on the L plates and went for a spin.
1hr later the car dumps water all over the road :eek:, spotting it as we were pulling off, i got the mrs to pull her over for me to have a quick looksie, bottom hose had come off.... Anyhow popped it back on, checked the clip, it looks as if the clip was not done up at all fwn. Topped her up, and no problems whats so ever. Got her home, flushed through the cooling system with water, refilled and am now monitoring it for any signs of leaks etc. None as yet.
Last night I spots fresh oil on the floor underneath the motor, so i gets under there for a real good look, now I find the bottom altenator bolt hanging out.... surely these dont just "loosen" themselves.
I'm sensing abit of foul play from the garage me thinks.
Question time:
1) Why does the temp gauge never ever seem to show hot? It does move but it doesnt stay at lets say "60 degrees" its normally very low. We have heat through the vents etc, dodgy temp sensor perhaps? Thermostat is on order, even tho the one on there does seem to work.
2) Oil leak on driver side, now i cannot figure out where this is stemming from, the water pump area seems damp as does the bracket just behind, no oil around the filter, but i have oil spatter on the bonnet indicating that oil is being thrown from somewhere. Any ideas?
3) Seems damp around the sump (driver side) seems to be a bad fitment of the sump. There looks to be damage to where the pulley wheel sits, again maybe a new gasket to sort this?
4) Oil pressure light stop on for a few seconds and flashes just after startup, pressure sensor perhaps? On that topic which one do I need, and where the heck is it located, I cannot find it. Is it passenger side of the block just on the side next to those two small vacummn looking pipes?

Cheers guys for taking the time to read, any help will be great. I'm no mechanic by a long shot but I am pretty sure with the right guidance I can get this little baby running sweet as a nut :D

Cheers

hi MM, the temp sender for the gauge is the smaller one of the 2 under the dizzy, but more likely the thermostat tho eh.
the oil leak is probably the crankseal or else the flat steel upper chain cover (joint sealer).
and the oil pressure switch is above the filter (under the inlet mani :eek: ) does the crank growl on startup ? (then goes quiet when the oil light goes out)

No it seems pretty quite on startup. The chain cover just needs a dab of sealant on there then perhaps. As for the crank seal how much of a job is that? I do park uphill so the leak seems to becoming from the back of the engine. Got my haynes manual on order and a set of spanners waiting :)
cheers for reply

i did a guide on the crankseal MM, a search might find it (but the search function on here sucks fwn ) basicly ,belts off then zip the crank bolt off with a socket gun, and lever the pulley off, but personally, i would jetwash the area and try and find the source of the leak first

Cheers thanks. I'll give it a real good degrease, if it comes down to it ill change belts, seals and water pump whilst I'm in there :)

well i have had another look this morning, and caught the blighter dripping. See below picture.
IMG_0059.jpg

Seems a dodgy repair job on the sump gasket to me :D But there does apper to bit of wetting further up the block by Water pump.

i would give it a good wipe and doublecheck MM
the sump has a halfmoon rubber seal each end and sealer only, and is a bit of a mission so try some sealer over the leak maybe ? (if its not the crankseal)
and that looks like the camcover gasket (coilpack/post 2000 ones are different, as are jdm plastic camcover ones)

Going to "borrow" some solvent cleaner from work today and get right in there :) got a new set of stainless rocker cover bolts, so I'll grab that gasket and dap on there whilst I'm there :) cheers for help. I'll keep you posted :)

right, took off the rocker cover as it was leaking pretty bad from the No7 screw (dizzy side) and replaced with a new one. There was no sealant on the left hand side (chain side) now there is. Replaced the chewed up screws with SS bolts and got it down nice and tight. Removed and replaced the temp sender, as i decided to do the earthing test and low and behold the needle shot off of the chart, put the new one in and now this is the oposite, it showed half way with a cold engine, after 5 mins of run it was touching the hand brake light :D The pipes themselves wernt even warm. So I got to grab another one :) Took off the stat cover to find NO thermostat at all..... :O so i gave it a good clean up, put the new stat in. The sealant I used is crap, it hasnt gone off and I can see allready the stat housing is leaking so ill have to redo it again. I am abit narfed about it tbh, i ran it for about 10mins or so to see if anything happened, all seemed ok. I had heat in all of the pipes, no over pressuring. The fan never kicked in at all, so I tested that off of the 12v direct, the fan does work. Question... if the temp sender sends the signal that the temp is off the top of the gauge (even if the coolant wasnt even hot) why didnt the ecu bump the fan to fireup?

well got another temp sensor on order. The above picture is now sealed and the oil has stopped leaking by a massive amount :D woot. I do however get a metallic chinking noise when going over speed bumps, ill have to jack her up and check the bushes on the wishbones. Cheap enough to change anyhow :) will I deffo need a ball joint splitter to do the job, or the old "big hammer" trick will do it? Cheers tho, its fun working on this car :)

Well the transformation has begun, interior stripped completely, old loom out, putting in new one. 255lph fuel pump in... Not a spot of rust on the floor pan, all good :) Might do some pics at some point ;)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Engine mostly disconnected, old interior loom is gone, old engine bay one is almost out, new interior one is in, waiting for new engine bay loom to go in before replacing dash. Slow work, lots of questions asked lol. Lifting strap arived today so tomorrow I should have an empty canvas to start with :) difficult not to get bogged down with small issues tho :)

Old engine mounts are out, gearbox tunnel made, need new engine mounts making up, little bit of material removal and engine back in. :)

Interior is back in, looking sexy with nismo dials and flat bottomed wheel :) Still holding out on the pics, want it running first.

full x3 re-loom, walbro 255lph pump, battery location. Dials, steering wheel as the car goes back together.... skipping a fair bit, but you don't need to know the "ins and outs".

took about a week or so to ensure all the electrics etc were working, needed a few bits like primera hazards switch, rear demist switch, 4 point selection wiper stalk, I only had off, on and fast no intermittent.

Engine out and in with the new in under a day... found that I needed a new front cross member, so a day of drilling welds proceeded..... much fun

Back out and back in again the following weekend to fit mounts.

Fitted

Decided I needed was to do a proper job on the tunnel, so out the engine came.... do it once, do it right..

Tunnel Mod for gearbox clearance, welded, filled under sealed. Brakes were binding, washers required :D

cosy toes

these few wires eluded me for a long time until I was finally ready to pull the engine into the bay and pull the ecu loom into the car, to find the matching sockets.... doh

School boy error on earthing saw me taken out the rear bench again to check the loom where I had spliced... hazards on saw me with the rear wiper going, pulled the connection to the wiper, hazards changed from indicators to brake lights and rear number plate bulbs....

Bad weather held off play for quite some time, so I moved onto work inside with the bumper..

need to finish the rest of the plastics now :D

zaust

Borrowed this one ;)

Removed the heat shield from below quickshift, to much rubbing and next to no clearance, couldn't be bothered to cut it out, may well revisit this.

Also got an LED dash kit

First fire, couldn't get it to idle for abit, needed a slight tweak of the throttle cable, me dad rocked up just at the right time, so he could hold the revs and I could adjust the cable position.

Better than nothing... it had a rattle as you can hear from the second vid, I was worried it was chain death rattle, turned out to be a loose alternator :D All good.

Good ole dad :D "how does these windows work then?" "umm the handle thing you move around in a circular motion" Top of the range stuff ;) We couldn't communicate very well over the noise ;)

As she is now,

Whats left? Fit new rear brake lines, bleed brakes, fit Panhard Rod, rear shockers and springs, wheels on, drop it, new exhaust, Insurance and DVLA.

Ill get some better pics tomorrow of where we are with the car going back together. Its not until you review, you realise what you are missing :D

Final rim choice...

cant wait to get it on the floor to see how she looks :D Got some Neo-Chrome wheel bolts to go on, currently I am touching up these wheels, as the numpty shipped them with nothing between the rims.... so I had minor curb scrape on the one, and impact damage on the rest where they were rim to rim in transit... oooh err Mrs.

Started this on 13th Nov, nothing but a "Christmas Cracker Set" of tools, I now have a fair few tools.... right tools make the job so much easier... also if you have a helpful forum member on hand to help you with the finer details :D Cheers Jean!

Brake lines on

Make shift Fill port, only took an hour per litre ;)

Excuse ties, haven't decided on final position of the fill tank yet

Front end as she is.

Long arm required for the gear change...

Love it. ... I know what you mean about the shifter... I have a 3" extension on mine.

If u havnt driven a sr'd k11 your gonna have a blast the first time you really open it up.

Front wishbone did the same, driverside shouldnt be to tricky. Passenger is going to be a right bitch, im guessing the bush has corroded to the bolt...

Front wishbone did the same, driverside shouldnt be to tricky. Passenger is going to be a right bitch, im guessing the bush has corroded to the bolt...

Heat, wd40 and a 2 1/4lb lump hammer didn't move my passenger side bolt... did a good job moving the mount forward a good 5mm or so though haha

Hey mad... I've been to 140 in his "old" k11... Ie that engine. It's as good of an engine as you'll ever find mate!

Honestly. Be afraid, be very afraid.

I'm ****ting myself about the first 4wd sr20det test drive. The last one was scary enough.

Oh and the 140 was on not even half a mile of road. So yeah.

Back