Wishbones defeated me

Ok so on a 1993. Model 1.3 I did try to remove the wish bones or lower arms well I got the nuts off but couldn't remove the bolt to the front was the same for both sides , it felt as tho the rubber was holding the bolts or that the bolt had rusted so it couldn't come out thinking how to attack it as I'm worried the grinding or drilling will damage the body.. Feel totally stupid as I swapped the engine yet I can't remove two bolts lol

maybe try seperating the arm from the bushing like this to get better access with the grinder

c725uz-129-jpg.31368

then carefully cut through the bolt between both sides of the inner bush collar and the chassis with a thin cutting disc

c725uz-130-jpg.33267

i had this problem. in the end, the bolt head snapped off and i used a punch to knock the remainder out. new bolts were like £7 pair or something.

the best way to remove the bushes is to heat the wishbone (i used a hot air gun), and use an appropriate size socket to knock the bush through.

Great not had a bolt stuck like that before had hit it a fair few times also tied getting ball joint separator folk behind it and I guessed right probs gonna land up cutting them out and fresh bolts cheers guys

Air rachet gun..work it back and forth until it frees rite up..use a fair bit of wd40 too :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

been down your road a few months back, was also amazed at the ratchet springing back when trying to loosed the bolts.. what happened was that the rubber bushes simply fused to the bolt and the wishbone shaft. Grinding everything out was the only feasible solution. In my case the wishbones didnt need much replacement, other parts were to blame for knocking I was getting ..but that's not the case for you.

I was thinking of poly bush kit for mine but it seems a lot of effort and with all the other bits I've to do I can't spend a day on it but I was trying to remove them off one that's to be scraped and was a bit shocked how hard it was

i found it easier to cut the head of the bolt off with a 1mm slitting disc matt (between the chassis and w/b) then ram a wedge down the side to get the tail of the bolt out :)

P2030477.JPG
P2030479.JPG

Back