Alternator A/C & Water pump PAS belts 1 ltr

Having replaced the PAS and alternator belts today I thought I'd write a few notes about it seeing as the haynes is not exactly correct (for my model at least) 98 1 ltr with PAS & A/C.

Alternator A/C belt:

1. Jack the car up and support it on axle stands, remove O/S/F wheel.
2. Remove plastic trim to improve access to belts ( 1 bolt, 3 clips)
3. The idler/adjuster wheel is fixed to the engine on a black metal bracket with 'ADJ' stamped on it
i) slacken (don't remove) the 17mm nut in the middle of the idler pulley
ii) at the top of this bracket are 2 x bolts, at the top of the bracket, behind these bolts is a 12mm adjuster, I used a 12 socket on the end of a flexible driver (you have to guide the socket onto the nut, between the PAS belt and the idler bracket)
4. Remove the tension enough to remove the belt

(Water pump / PAS belt: (note the alternator belt has to be removed first)

1. from under the car slacken 2 bolts holding the pump (14mm)
2. from top of car, remove the bracket holding pipe to top of pump bracket (just to improve access)
3. While still at the top slacken off 12mm NUT on the adjuster holder and the 12mm bolt just in front of this. The adjuster bolt (12mm) is on the left end of the bracket, facing slightly down and towards the bulkhead, this can be turned from above or below the car.
4. Slacken the adjustment so the belt can be removed

[Note, even with all the adjustment off I still couldn't get the belt off, I ended up taking the 2 big bolts out of the bottom bracket and pushing/turning the pump to get the belt off]

Refitting & Adjustment:

PAS/Waterpump

1. Fit the new belt over the pulleys
2. Slightly nip up the adjuster holding NUT(12mm), the bolt just in front of it (12mm)and the two bolts at the bottom(14mm)
3. Turn the adjuster bolt (12mm) [easiest from underneath] to apply the tension.
4. Tighten all the bolts and nut and fit the hose clip bracket back on

Alternator - A/C belt

1. Fit the new belt
2. Turn adjuster bolt (12mm) to apply tension
3. Tighten the 17mm nut in the idler wheel

I then ran the engine for 5 minutes and then re-checked the tensions

Put the plastic shield back and the wheel back on.

Hope this is of use to people

Chris

mikey

Ex. Club Member
Really handy mate, this will come in handy for the new year service (Y) Especially as the trusty haynes lost a fight with a leaky bottle of lucozade under the seat :eek: