Windoscreen Washer Pump

CMF_GrahamI

» CMF Member
Hi, new to the forums here, hope someone can help!!

I have a 1996 Micra 1.3 and both the front and rear washer jets have stopped working.

There is no "whirring" when trying either switch and the fluid is topped up and not frozen

I took the wheel arch liner off to get at the pump and found it has two pipes coming from it (1 front and 1 rear, so as expected) but only 2 wires (green and orange from memory) which threw me a bit - anyone know how this works? Does the front switch provide + and - and the rear switch - and + thus pumping in the opposite direction? Would fit in with the way the pipes come off the pump

I tried linking the pump direct to the battery and it doesn't turn either way - this makes me think it could be the pump that has packed in

Thing is though, when I put a meter over the connections I get 12V when using the rear switch and what seemed to be a permanent 12Vwhen connected the other way - could this be due to the voltage provided by the meter or do I have a switch problem as well??

A wiring diagram might help work out what SHOULD be happening which would then help with fixing it all!

Thanks for any help
Graham

CMF_dodge

» CMF Member
hi i also have the same problem but i can here the pump working.when i take the pipes off the washer jets and press the switch water comes out. i cant understand how all three jets would be blocked at the same time. ive tried to clean them but still wont spray any help please.

CMF_LonePhantom

» CMF Member
I've had the issue with the pump working but the jets not. The jets were blocked with crud. I cleaned them out as much as I could but they sill were no good. Bought some new ones for the bonnet and all is good now. The rear still doesn't work (not sure how to replace that one) but it's not the end of the world if it doesn't work.

CMF_deNs

» CMF Member
dodge WROTE:

"great thanks mate ive just ordered some led ones off ebay.

Thus instilling the stereotype in my mind that people in the UK only do aesthetic mods :p

I've in the past just dunked the plastic nozzles in some hot water and poked them then pressure tested with water to clean them out. Worked ok but getting some new ones or good second hand ones from a wreckers would be best.

---dens

Back