No washer pump front or rear

Hi

My mates 95' micra........neither front or rear washer pump is working.There seems to be constant live at both pumps but when i pull the switch nothing happens,no sound from motor.We took out the motors and connected them straight to battery and nothing :suspect:

I thought it was strange for both motors to be not working?

Also i couldn't see a fuse for washer motors do they work on the same fuse as the wipers?

thanks in advance

if you directly connected the motors over a battery then they should have worked! sounds like they are both too long new!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also if the motors work on direct connection over the battery, start at the fuse, then wiper switch, for fault

Washer motors on Micras have a switched earth which means when the ignition is on they have a constant live. When you operate the switch it gives the motors an earth and makes them operate.
If they both have a live, check the connections at the pump aren't all corroded. If they are ok follow the wiring back as it will probably be damaged/broken further up the loom.

Thanks....

So they have a switched earth....should they still work when you connect them across a battery?

It could be the wiper stalk/switch too couldn't it....any way to test it?

Also any way to see if the motor is getting an earth?
(Y)

Yes! The pump motor still needs a live and earth to function. So it will work if you connect it directly to a battery.
But instead of the switch regulating when the live is sent to the motor, it works with the earth.
If you put a live to the motor when it is fitted in the bottle nothing would happen but if you earth the earth side it should work if the pump is ok.

If neither of your washer pumps work when connected to the battery it means both are knackered!

If they work when you connect them to the battery and you are getting a live at the pumps then you need to look at the connectors, wiring and switch.

To test the switch, check the plug at the pump. Using a testlamp or similar, connect the test lamp between the 2 terminals. When an assistant operates the washer switch the lamp should light.

Back