Why won't it work??

Well a friend of mine got a 1.0 k11 micra for his wife. It ran fine for a while but now it refuses to start. It churns and churns until the battery goes flat but won't start and you can really smell petrol as if its flooding and there's no spark.

Basically we're gunna put a new rotor arm on it and possibly a dizzy cap, but have you guys got any other suggestions or have any of you's had a similar problem?? Thanks

Thomas

if the nats light is flashing or engine light is flashing it could be the ignition fuse in the fuse box next to the battery corroded underneith and a wire has come off,

or

does it have a alarm? a black remote with 2 black buttons? these can fail and cause the same problem a new remote is quite pricey aswell

if the battery was turning the engine over and it wouldn't start I would almost def say it was flooded first of all.

If you moved the car about 3m on the previous journey then I guarantee it is. Its quite common on the K11.

Theres a trick to get it starting. turn the engine over with your foot fully depressed on the accelerator and if that doesn't work, pull the fuel pump fuse out of the fuse box next to the steering column and start the engine again with your foot fully depressed on accelerator a few times to see if it will clear it.

If it does start don't forget to put the fuse back in and it should be fine.

I dunno if it was flooded. It started doing this while driving along and broke down. Gunna definitely try the fuse box things and see what happens. It doesn't have an alarm so I suppose that rules that out.

Thanks for all your help peeps!!

If you have no spark, best way to start before making any guesses and spending money is to get the ECU into diagnostic mode and see if there are any fault codes.

Theres definitely a spark as I've tested that today, and there's also fuel getting through, so I'm not sure. I took the fuel pump fuse out and it fired up and ran very lumpily for about 4 seconds then cut out, and wouldn't restart. I checked all the fuses in the engine bay and the contacts all seemed fine. However once I put them back the engine warning light start flashing????

Still wouldn't start. Checked the oil breather going to the air box. Wasn't blocked. The plugs seem fine. The tip of the rotor arm is a bit worn but as I said spark is getting through.

Its been to the garage twice, its been towed there and driven out but the problem re occurs. Its really irritatting cos I just wanna get in running and driving so more interesting things can start to happen!!

Get the ECU into diagnostic mode, if the garage are being cagey they have no idea either and this will just cost money. I had an intermitant problem like this but I am not going to say what it is until you get fault codes from the ECU, as it will only lead to wild guesses.

How do I get it into diagnostic mode please? I've never had to do it on a Micra. I know on my Starlet I just bridge two of the ports on the diagnostic plug?

Big thanks for everyones help, its definitely most appreciated. Its also going to a good cause as my brother is most probably gunna get this car and LOve it!! LOL

Well went along to stick in Diagnostic mode, but the engine light is just flashing continuously. It started doing this after I checked some of the fuse's etc in the engine bay!

You need to speak to someone who can read ECU's. Nissan would obviously be able to do this, but at cost. There'l be other people too, such as Ed, im sure it wont take that much to fix! whatever the problem is.

Back