why a car wouldnt start?

Stani1029

Club Member
hi can everyone please post up here a reason as to why a micra wouldnt start eventhough it fuels and sparks

can we please list as many as possible

cheers stani

i know the engine isnt flooded, the plugs arent manky, the leads are working fine, the dizzy is in good nick, its pumping fuel, that there is fuel, changed throttle bodys, looms, injectors, fuel rails, ecu's, checked all fuses, checked compression which is perfect...

very confusing this is :p

ive done this, the engine eventually sounds different obviously cause its getting no fuel and then once the fuse is re-inserted you can hear it getting fuel. still hasnt started

yes the fuel pipes are the right way :p ive tried with and without a fuel presure regulator and i havent tried a drop of fuel no, what would i expect from this?

but then doesnt that mean that all my parts are faulty lol ill give it a try and see what happens. ive not checked the timing either so what the best way of checking it? :D

could it be a bad earth somewhere?? and how could i test for this??

an in need of help stani :p

stani, if you remove the fuelpump fuse and clean the plugs then soak the airfilter, it should definately run if the spark is ok (and the valves are ok)
this will rule out an injector sequencing or flooding problem.
if it does,nt run (and the valves are ok) then its a spark sequence or timing problem :)

Have you dried the plugs with a blow torch if their wet? If not that will effect ignition

stani, if you remove the fuelpump fuse and clean the plugs then soak the airfilter, it should definately run if the spark is ok (and the valves are ok)
this will rule out an injector sequencing or flooding problem.
if it does,nt run (and the valves are ok) then its a spark sequence or timing problem :)

i have done the fuse trick and cleaned/tried other plugs. ive tried a dizzy that has a new rotor arm and cap, one thats old and one from my running micra. ive tried different sets of leads which all spark. how much do you think a strobelight will be if it is the timing? but then i always thought a car would start if the timing was out slightly and if its out alot then the valves would be hitting the pistons etc...?

(Y)

yeh, mine still runs with the dizzy turned fully forward or fully back (you hav,nt got the offset slot on the dizzy to cam 180 deg out have you ?)
and you could set the cams about 6 teeth out and still miss the pistons btw :eek:

nah ive checked that the dizzy is correct, and when ive seen it done the wrong way before it just snaps the lobe on the end of the cam. its seriously puzzling me!

have you checked the air flow senser?, I know me and shorty ######d the one on his valver once and it confuses the ecu as to whats happning, i dont think theres anyway to check apart from a new one. thats the only thing can think of?

see ive tried different throttle bodies, and a ga16 one and a different type lol but now i think i may have the answer, ages ago i removed the carbon cannister when i was re-doing an engine, i remember setting the vacuum pipes up wrong and the car never did start till i got it right, now i cant remember which way i had it so can anyone who has removed the cannister show me which way they have there pipes set up, from the back of the inlet, to the back of the throttle body

cheers

mine just has the big one for the brake servo, a midsized one for the crankcase breather (o/s rear spout on the camcover) and a little one on the fuelrail p/r/v stani :)

see ive tried different throttle bodies, and a ga16 one and a different type lol but now i think i may have the answer, ages ago i removed the carbon cannister when i was re-doing an engine, i remember setting the vacuum pipes up wrong and the car never did start till i got it right, now i cant remember which way i had it so can anyone who has removed the cannister show me which way they have there pipes set up, from the back of the inlet, to the back of the throttle body

cheers

1) if your engine has a Temperature Vacuum Valve (ie. next to the coolant sensor is a screw plug with 2 thin rubber tubes connected) & below the airbox is another thin rubber tube:

- 1 thin rubber tube goes from the bottom of airbox to one of the two ports on the Temp Vac Valve screwed onto the engine head (supply ambient pressure)

- 1 thin rubber tube goes from behind the TB just above the TB butterfly valve (another ambient pressure tube)

- 1 thin rubber tube goes from the other port of the Temp Vac Valve and meets with the tube from behind the TB using a Y-split (when cold, the valve is open, disabling the emission control system. when the engine is warm, the valve closes to enable the pressure difference from the closed throttle to actuate the canister)

- 1 thin rubber tube from the y-split then goes to the top of the carbon canister (joins the 2 sources of ambient pressure lines to the canisters actuation diaphram)

- 1 thick tube goes from behind the inlet manifold just below the TB butterfly valve to the carbon canister just below the thin tube above ^^
(when throttle is closed, this tube carries the vacuum to the other side of canisters diaphram, actuating it to release the stored fuel vapour into the manifold)

- 1 thick tube running parallel to the fuel lines goes to the other port on the carbon canister(vapours from the fuel tank)

2) if there's no temperature vacuum valve:

- 1 thin tube goes from behind the TB just above the butterfly valve to the top of the canisters diaphram

- 1 thick tube from the inlet manifold just below the butterfly valve to the lower part of the canisters diaphram to supply vacuum when throttles closed, releasing the stored fuel vapours into the manifold

- 1 thick tube running parallel to the fuel lines goes to the other port on the carbon canister(vapours from the fuel tank)

i now think it is timing people, i think ive made a mistake on it which is not like me :O im do remember when i built the engine, i had to take the side plate off again as i missed the tensioner, and normally once ive built an engine i turn it over by hand which is what i think i done without the tensioner in place. i hope to god this is what ive done so i can get on with it :p

well after taking off the rocker and dizzy cap, setting it to TDC the timing is completely out so im so relieved :D cant beleive i made a stupid mistake for once! dont know if any valves are bent yet but will find out tomorrow when i get it up and running cant wait

Back