White Knight update

cisco

» CMF Member
David rang me up on Wednesday evening while he was having a relaxing beer on the ferry from Tasmania headed over to the mainland.

They got White Knight going a bit better and did a power run on the dyno. Made less power than it should have, but for a couple of very good reasons that are now known, and actually positives. One is that the composite gasket further reduced compression right down to about 8.0:1. This means less power for the same level of boost, but really means that you can wind more and more boost into the engine. So this engine will never die. So next step is to chase more boost to get the power up.

Which leads to the second thing they discovered. The blow off valve was leaking badly. They heard some wooshing noises under boost, and yeah the BOV was letting some of the boost pressure get out. A stiffer spring was installed in the BOV and this made the boost go up to 12psi from 10psi when it was leaking. That's literally a 20% gain in boost pressure and probably power just from that tiny leak.

An updated power run at 12psi is yet to be done since the BOV was fixed.

This graph shows the run at 10psi with the leaking BOV and 8.0:1 compression. This has to be the smoothest torque and power curves I think I've ever seen. That torque curve is virtually saying that you will receive the same push in the back force at virtually any RPM. Imagine driving it. And the power just climbs and climbs so smoothly.

From speaking with David, sounds like White Knight will be back with more boost sometime. The mechanic even said after they fixed the leaking BOV, that you could feel noticable extra pushback in the seat just from that 2psi.

Still a couple of idle problems to sort out, but all in all the car is going great.

CMF_Alex_B

» CMF Member
Get all the little things sorted and she'll be a real hauler for sure. I think david might need to invest in one of those dual stage boost controller gadets you recently fitted cisco, might be abit difficult to drive in the wet with soo much torque available!

Alex

CMF_Sean

» CMF Member
Hey Dave.. Looking awesome mate! Glad to see you're finally seeing some results

Alex - the boost controller won't work on a supercharged system. You'd have to custom up a BOV that would vent (on demand) at a certain psi..

Sean

CMF_Sean

» CMF Member
Boost controllers adjust boost by "tricking" the wastegate actuator.

The create a restriction in the line going to the wastegate which makes the wastegate think its not running enough boost to open.

Thats why you can't do it on a S/C setup because a turbocharger is (in effect) regulated by its own pressure whereas a asupercharger is regulated by the drive pulley velocity

Sean

CMF_White Knight

» CMF Member
I am back from Melbourne and have not loooked at a computer for 5 days. Good!!
Well Whitey is pulling just over 12psi and man does it haul.
So look at the graph and imagine another 20% more power.
Definately over 100 kws and no doubt that torque curve is even better.
When the idle issue is sorted will do another dyno.
It is now at the stage where a little old lady could drive it and you can potter around all day off boost and give it a bit of a poke and away she goes but it all happens very smoothly.
Did I see 140kph in third while hauling up a hill and it was not slowing down!!

cisco

» CMF Member
That's awesome. What a screamer is would be.

I have to check it out sometime.

CMF_White Knight

» CMF Member
Will have the idle problem sorted by end of this week.
F..... frustrating as apart from this it is 100%.
Been a long time since the upgrade started but well nothing to follow so a lot of trial and error.
Correct Seano re turbo v supercharger. No turbo whoosh or dialing up boost.Just this deep growl. Only thing I could do would be to adjust the pressure relief valve to vent at a certain psi but man she is screwed up as tight as to make sure we get every psi possible. Only way to get more psi would be a bigger main drive pulley ( cannot due to physical restrictions)or a smaller supercharger pulley which is proving impossible to find as an aftermarket item. Its not just the smaller pulley but the electro magnetic clutch which is part of it.
Could fit a larger supercharger with bigger swept volume such as the SC14 but would need a lot of mods to the extractors as the SC14 is longer and would foul the extarctors.
I am happy with what I have now and want to enjoy it and prove the reliabilty before thinking about the next step.At 12psi just about at the limit of the SC12 without getting meltdown.
Time to go hunting the big bangers. Cisco I will send a full update and pics once Whitey is back home.Engine bay nothing like before.

Back