which induction method

hi, ive had a replacement element, and it is better than stock by a long way sound wise. However, today i took the top off my airbox and the sound is way way better, which leads me to think i need to chuck my air box and get a new filter cone.

Do i have a cone at the front of my engine with a pipe going to the air intake (basically replace the current air box and cone and relocate the filter at the front of the engine enar the radiator) or should i just put a cone on where the factory box was and have no pipes at all.

Please tell me what methods you guys use and add pics of your engines :)
Thanks

Covered alot of times before. Sticking a cone filter on the TB, where the air filter is just now will probably make the car slower as it is just getting hot air, unless you run a cold air feed to it.

Otherwise you could relocate it using a 90 degree bend and some steel tube.

Panel filter is best for performance though.

so you would recommend the standard box with k&n panel that ihave at the moment, with some new tubing. where would i get some new tubing from. (i think i get your idea but would be most grafeful for a piccie)

If you're going to relocate the cone or direct cold air to the cone have it all as low and to the front as possible

no pics yet as I haven't done it myself...yet

dogrosie said:
so you would recommend the standard box with k&n panel that ihave at the moment, with some new tubing. where would i get some new tubing from. (i think i get your idea but would be most grafeful for a piccie)

do a search for davey c's cold air intake..ii think it was in buy and sell section with some good pics

dogrosie said:

Heres a pic, this was Davey C' now mine.

15274465f4272e640.jpg

It does make it sound nice. Extra pipe is from a ford of some sort, Davey will be able to clarify what one.

This provided a nice increase in power and engine response across the whole rev range.

To a keen ear it also amplified induction noise. :)

Yom said:

This provided a nice increase in power and engine response across the whole rev range.

To a keen ear it also amplified induction noise. :)

looks nice and clean mate

well there has a been a lot of debate about this but ive done all 3 methods and the most power and noise by far is putting a cone filter on top of the throttle body with a cold air intake. there is also a bit about this in practical performance car. This guy had a 106 and tested a few bits and pieces out. the panel filter produced excatly the same power and the cone ontop of the throttle body produced the most power and torque. best thing mate is to try it out yourself and go with the best one that feels right.

stokefan: the panel is good as it isnt an engine mod (i checked with insurance, its just a replacement element). it makes the car feel faster as the engine is much more responsive and the noise is also improved, especially when it you floor it or the engine is cold.
thanks for the pics on the air intakes on standard boxes, however is this classed as a mod (with insurers as im a young driver) and where did you get the pipes from and how much are they. i have ruled out ripping the airbox off for a cone only replacement as that would reduce performance due to hot air being taken in.
i am also thinkin of going to a scrappy and getting new pipes still so i can have a play around. i cant even begin to say how good the car sounded with no air box that time, speshly as its a 1litre engine
YOM: nice lookin bay looks new

59 bhp is more than enough said:
well there has a been a lot of debate about this but ive done all 3 methods and the most power and noise by far is putting a cone filter on top of the throttle body with a cold air intake. there is also a bit about this in practical performance car. This guy had a 106 and tested a few bits and pieces out. the panel filter produced excatly the same power and the cone ontop of the throttle body produced the most power and torque. best thing mate is to try it out yourself and go with the best one that feels right.

would have to agree, when i put a k&n filter on the throttle body for my old k10 it felt the most responsive over the standard airbox and definitely made the most noise. i have purchased a K&N cone filter for my K11 off scottish SR and will be putting this straight on to the throttle body.

So, a K&N 57i Kit is basicly a Air filter with a tube...

So if i but a tube to my Air Filter, would i basicly have a 57i kit?

i have kept in the standard air intake pipe and simply unplugged it off the air box and half overlapped it with the original hole. So the pipe is stil there (still screwed in) but only half covering it. The induction noise is as good as with no filter box lid still, this also isn't an engine mod but the car sounds much much better.
im assuming that i will loose power with no cold air feed, so that is why i have half overlapped the hoel on the air box with the old pipe. someone tell me otherwise if im wrong please :)

yep spot on. and you should unplug the cold air feed pipe and leave it loose overlapping. stil cold air coming and and s very nice noise wehen u put your foot down.

so thats the panel filter is just a replacement. check with ya insruance (im with CIS) but it should not change as your just changing the element and keeping standard box.

you honestly won't notice a difference. It's the start in a big chain of breathing modifications, alone. It doesn't do much, apart from being more responsive.

Back