What to do 1st

Hi all

Recently bought a k11. Long term will be turning into a track day demon

Now, I don't know much about tuning etc but this is where I begin. Ordered a service kit and oil. After this there's a few things I need to sort.

Gear stick is squeaking. Will installing a short shifter fix this??

Rim size. 14 inch or 15??

The engine is a 1.3 16v. Can it take a lot of punishment?? Eventually it WILL be turbocharged with many other upgrades.

Also anything I should check?? Like certain spots for rust??

Thanks

Check the front crossmember. They tend to rust. Also check the timing you can gain a few hp with setting it correctly. They can take lots of abuse.

Just checked. Looks decent. Has a small spot of rust on corner. Also never checked the timing. But I'll give it a shot

Cheers maarten

Smaller wheels will give you better acceleration, would definitely recommend some wide 13's (7j fits with the right offset) with the stickiest tyre you can find.

Dread. Just got my heart set on some 14 inch oz super turismos lol. Also by 7j what do you mean?? Googled it but can't get answers.

I was also under the impression that larger wheels have slicker tyres so there's less movement on tyre walls. I thought this was the way to go for handling etc

Also coilovers. Spotted a few

Bear in mind that cost isn't that much of an issue atm. I'm looking to spend a fair amount for quality parts rather than cheap parts that will be replaced anyway lol

Dread. Just got my heart set on some 14 inch oz super turismos lol. Also by 7j what do you mean?? Googled it but can't get answers.

I was also under the impression that larger wheels have slicker tyres so there's less movement on tyre walls. I thought this was the way to go for handling etc

Also coilovers. Spotted a few

Bear in mind that cost isn't that much of an issue atm. I'm looking to spend a fair amount for quality parts rather than cheap parts that will be replaced anyway lol

7j is the width of the wheel

Sent from my SM-G903F using Micra Sports Club mobile app

Ahh I thought so but wasn't too sure if I was right.

Also other than smaller rims giving better accel, are there other reason why you would have them?? Would 1 inch make a big difference if the bigger rims are actually lighter??

Also in progress of getting some bilstein coilovers. Anyone had experience on these? From what I've researched these give the best performance/cost. But I'm not sure if there would be better options out there.

Saving 1kg of weight in wheels, brakes etc (unsprung weight) is equivalent to saving 10kg off the body in terms of how the car will respond to weight loss. Remember wheels are spinning at a few hundred rpm so any weight saved there will make acceleration much faster and will brake harder due to less rotating mass.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Micra Sports Club mobile app

I see. Well good to know that as will be changing that at some point.

Also Frank, can you recommend me some coilovers? I've done what I can and I'm still not 100%. Contacted bilstein but there response is they don't have anything. But it was a sales guy so he probs only using guidelines I'm guessing

Budget is about 1kish for a decent set that I can adjust dampening

Thanks in advance

I see. Well good to know that as will be changing that at some point.

Also Frank, can you recommend me some coilovers? I've done what I can and I'm still not 100%. Contacted bilstein but there response is they don't have anything. But it was a sales guy so he probs only using guidelines I'm guessing

Budget is about 1kish for a decent set that I can adjust dampening

Thanks in advance
the only coilovers i tried were german approved ebay corsa ones mate, they were very very harsh and were removed and sold on in a couple of days, polly (paul) took me out in his (bc coilover?) car, and i found his were very harsh too, but his are damper adjustable tho so depends what you are after tbh

Paul likely has his dampers wound up if they're crashy.

BC Racing 'BR' coilovers are very hard to beat for the money. The BR versions have increased spring rates of 5kg/mm front and 4kg/mm rear and they offer a very plush ride if set appropriately for road use.

Mmm ok. I'll have a look at them.

Atm I already have a daily car, so the micra is like my hobby if that makes sense. In future it could be a daily car to work if missis passes her test. She'd have the old car.

I wanna make the micra capable on track and maybe cruise on weekends etc. That's why I'm looking for adjustable dampers. Wouldn't say id take it on massive journeys unless needed

Just checked those BC coilovers. BR seems legit and basicly what I'm looking for BUT there's also a RM which is same but with a mono tube. Is it worth it?? Or is RM way to track focused??

Oh and if im correct, garrett turbos are the way??

My company sells parts etc and we can get garrett at a great price. But ive no idea on how big to get. Basicly want a nice boost but without overdoing it and reducing reliability

Just checked those BC coilovers. BR seems legit and basicly what I'm looking for BUT there's also a RM which is same but with a mono tube. Is it worth it?? Or is RM way to track focused??

RM aren't available for the K11, V1 and BR are the only options.

Back