What is this noise coming from my engine?

dg_unit

Club Member (Trial)
My engine is making this 'clicking' noise. Does anybody know what it is and what it would take to fix it? Thanks.

[video=youtube;SHabd_5BAd8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHabd_5BAd8[/video]

Thanks frank. I'll look it up and see what it is because I've never heard of that part before! It doesn't seem to be causing me any problems atm although the car is a bit reluctant starting, needs a touch of the gas pedal from cold. The ticking noise doesn't seem to have any rhythm to it, just at random. If it is what you say it is how will I know and is it a case of repair or replace?

Frank your way off i say your way off :doh:........ diesel

dont be bloody daft :p

Attachments

• SDC11834.JPG
    SDC11834.JPG
    274.6 KB · Views: 525
if it is that solenoid DG, you should be able to feel it clicking :eek:

Attachments

• SDC11836.JPG
    SDC11836.JPG
    276.6 KB · Views: 496
Unless it's just the choke clicking down a level on it's ratchet lever, mine gives a sharp click when it goes down a level. I've never had any problems from it.

dont be bloody daft :p

Frank i said you were way off earlier...Its not a Diesel Valve its and Anti Dieseling valve.

Like me, new to the Micra i thought you were talking about a Diesel Valve (explantion) :blush:The Anti dieseling valve on a Micra is fitted to stop the engine running on after the ignition as been switched off but the video shows the engine actually running for nearly a minute,surley not :blush:
Not sure what you called me was it - Bloody Daft :down:

Thanks for the info. There is no problem with the engine turning off, it does this as it should do. Just need a little poke of the gas to get it going from cold but I'm not sure that's related.

I'm not sure I've managed to work this one out despite all the helpful comments so maybe some more info is needed. I did notice earlier that the 'clicking' seems to relate to revving the engine. I wondered if that might help with the diagnosis? New video here to show what I mean. Also got me stopping and starting the engine in case that throws up anything or rules anything out. Thanks. [video=youtube;hgTQMu2KgUk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgTQMu2KgUk[/video]

Is it a loud, sharp click that just happens occasionally when you rev the car? The kind of noise that makes you verry worried for a split second when you hear it? I think i know which sound you're on about, i have it on my 1.2 GS special. I've never been able to find the cause but i believe it is a mechanism on or within the carb, simply snapping shut a bit over enthusiastically. It has never caused any adverse effects or reliability issues for me, so i don't worry about it. If you have the same thing going on then i would advise you not to worry about it, provided that the engine is running normally.

I've sorted out the video link now so that one should work. Thanks for the reassurance porkpie. The engine is running completely fine. It's only done 33k. Only issue I've had with it was some black watery liquid spitting out of the exhaust when I first got it but put that down to it being left broken down on the side of the road for a month by the previous owner.

disconnect to vacuum pipe on the dizzy. block it with somthing if the ticking goes away then its the vacuum controler on the dizzy. it went on my girlfrieds car.

That sounds a whole hell of a lot like the big ends dude especiallly when you let the revs drop, bottom end usually rattle their nuts off at around 2500rpm that's when you'll hear the noise constantly, but in every car I've had that noise in it's been big ends and I've had a few do that now and rebuilt the damn things

cool. well now I'm scared. Not least because I'm not sure what a big end is or why it is in my engine... my 33k engine which seems perfect apart form this noise (which I'm not even sure is coming form the engine).

New development is I've noticed it doesn't happen all the time. After Ed (Noddie) did my sills on saturday it didn't make the ticking noise until later that evening, revving or not and it had been sitting in the street so going from cold. I thought maybe Ed had some kind of magic tig welder but the noise is definitely still there. Pretty annoying now my exhaust isn't rattling as that ticking can be heard more often.

Thinking about it I'm pretty sure I had the same sound on the mk4 TDI i sold a couple of months back. Maybe it's me? I need to check some of these suggestions out still. Got distracted failing my MOT.

have you tried to locate it by hearing ;)? there are not so much parts in the engine which are able to make such a noise...

hey I have a weird idea which is really unreal, but eventually it is the starter which hits/scraps the flywheel? normally it sounds different... but I mean, why not check it?

Dude have you checked to see if the coil and spark leads are loose or damaged because it sounds a lot like a spark arcing accross from somewhere. Take a good look over this stuff, particularly the coil because it's common for sparks to jump from the terminals when their insulation becomes damaged.

check it a knocking noise as said can be many things you have alot to check from the things weve all suggested hopefully im wrong and its not the big ends but just you tube big end failure in a 200sx practically the identical noise ive blown a few sx's so that were i get the comparison

the only other time ive had that noise id just rebuilt the engine and transmission swapped it and hadnt tightened the flywheel up properly
if you were closer you could have brought it to me

And this winner is.... VACUUM CONTROLLER on the dizzy.

Thanks Frank and Frazman101. You win the wheel of sound diagnosis fortune.

Picked one off a J-reg at the scrappies today. Just put it on there. No more crazy ticking (Y)

Back