clicking noise

i got the water pump and timing belt kit in and now its purring like a kitten however when i drive it and i get to 20/30 mph there is a clicking noise coming from directly in front of me . it seems to speed up and down with the revs and stops when u slow down below 20 and its melting my brain! i've looked all around the engine bay and the only thing i can see is what i think is a capacitor attached to the alternator,the wire off it is broken at the body of the capacitor but it is still attached to the alternator.this clicking noise was there before the water pump/timing belt change but i thot/hoped it wud go.but the ###### is still there. anyone shed any light on this? car is 1992 k10 1.0 litre. thank you.

Forget the Alternator, the tiny barrel on the side is a 'Noise suppressor'. check the Alternator bearing, I know it sounds stupid but I had a ticking noise and it sounded like it was coming from the firewall....Did you replace the Alternator belt?

You say it's directly in front of you, whereabouts exactly?
You also said you had the Cambelt changed, did you replace the Tensioner?

I would check for Stones and Nails first to save possible work ;)

Check everything that moves, jack a side up and rotate a wheel slowly at first and see if the noise is still apparent.

Forget the Alternator, the tiny barrel on the side is a 'Noise suppressor'. check the Alternator bearing, I know it sounds stupid but I had a ticking noise and it sounded like it was coming from the firewall....Did you replace the Alternator belt?

You say it's directly in front of you, whereabouts exactly?
You also said you had the Cambelt changed, did you replace the Tensioner?

I would check for Stones and Nails first to save possible work ;)

Check everything that moves, jack a side up and rotate a wheel slowly at first and see if the noise is still apparent.
ok thanks mate, i did replace the tensioner as there was a bit of play in the old one,how ever i did not change the fan belt as it looked perfectly servicable. at idling there isnt a sound coming from the alternator bearing so i assume its ok. i will have a good look today and keep u posted. thank you.

this may be a daft suggestion, and i apologise in advance. Is there any chance it could be a faulty relay, as on the later models there is some in the area that the clicking is coming from.

this may be a daft suggestion, and i apologise in advance. Is there any chance it could be a faulty relay, as on the later models there is some in the area that the clicking is coming from.
good thought mate that possiblity never entered my head. yeah now that i think about it it cud well be that. cheers mate.

if you have over tightened the altenator belt it will make the bearing make a clicking noise, but that would do it all the time,

but by saying it does it only when driving at 20 plus suggests to me that it is drive terrain related, a dodgy cv joint or something?, or even something catching on the brake disk like the metal backing?

The problem with sounds is that they can be transferred through other parts.
I had a noise which I thought was the front bearing when it was the rear one.....

clicking noise k10

finally figured this headmelter of a problem out! the noise is coming from inside the speedo clock, i guess the little cogs need a bit of grease or summat. it was wrecking my head why it wasnt clicking at idle or even when i revved it when the car was stationary. anyone ever have this happen? oh btw i disconnect the speedo cable drive from the gearbox and drove it ,no more clicking so this is definatly the problem.:grinning:

Back