What's this noise coming from my car?

dg_unit

Club Member (Trial)
Since the success of getting rid of the last noise coming from my car (with help from everyone on here), I can now hear other noises that it was masking.

The main one I'm concerned about sounds like its coming from underneath the car or the front drivetrain. Can't be sure because I have to be driving to hear it and it's my best guess with my head out the window. It seems to occur a few seconds before I need to change up a gear, especially going uphill. I've only noticed it in low gears but might just be road noise masking it at other times.

Below is the first video. You can really hear the noise on 6sec and constantly between 21 and 25sec. This was changing down into 2nd gear going up a small hill. It sounds similar to a rusty exhaust rattle or metal vibrating but is coming from the front and doesn't occur when revving stationary so I've ruled that out.
[video=youtube;Cc-6xMTn_4I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cc-6xMTn_4I[/video]

On the second video you can hear it a bit as I move off and then again 6-7sec. Don't bother listening after than it's just a load of road noise.
[video=youtube;3xLkfH7sTUo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xLkfH7sTUo[/video]

Pretty happy I managed to not drop my phone on the road. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Sounds like a blowing exhaust to me, probable only doing it while driving because the engine is pulling the exhaust toward to front of the car as the engine rocks back in it;s mounts. If it's a 1.2 cat model it may be the heat shield on the cat.

It's a 1.0 so not heat shield but thinking about it me and Ed (noddie) pulled the back section back into place. Might have messed up the exhaust paste as it slots into the mid section. I'll check it out.

I'm going to add to this and say that does indeed sound like a blowing exhaust. Maybe make sure it's all sealed up with either gaskets or exhaust putty. Jack the car up and turn the engine on, checking to see if it's blowing on any of the joints

That's why I took off all the shields on my entire exhaust system when mine started making a similar noise. Kind of solved it temporarily, but found out the exhaust was still blowing anyway. Still worth checking I think, just to be sure. But take off any shields as well, you don't really need them :grinning: (Y)

The metal shield between gearbox and engine... this happened to me a while ago. tighten the srews at the gearbox and the sound will be gone.

Defo a rattle
Does it do the noise when stationery?? Would be much simpler to diagnose that way
Hard to tell in the videos
Hope it's not the good old rattle of death maybe get a video when stationery at around 3000rpm

No iT doesn't do it stationary hence the dodgy videos. I hope it's not a death rattle. Got 38k miles on it and well treated. I think tomorrow it'll be up on the stands and I'll have a good look. Thanks for the info everyone.

No iT doesn't do it stationary hence the dodgy videos. I hope it's not a death rattle. Got 38k miles on it and well treated. I think tomorrow it'll be up on the stands and I'll have a good look. Thanks for the info everyone.

Probably not bottom end if it doesn't do it when stationery mate
Have you not got under it and had a rattle around everything
It has to be something that is affected by moving like clutch release bearing, box-block metal gasket metal as mentioned earlier, surround on back of disc, unlikely to be a shield it if only happens once in motion but don't cancel it out till you've made sure

I'm wondering if it's one of those weird things that only rattles at certain frequencies that you don't get stationary. It's defo not the clutch bearing. What do you mean by box-block metal?

I'm wondering if it's one of those weird things that only rattles at certain frequencies that you don't get stationary. It's defo not the clutch bearing. What do you mean by box-block metal?

Between the engine and gear box there's a thin metal gasket that I the bolts gear box bolts are loose it will rattle but it is rare

Ah yes I know the part. Trickle little git that kept falling on the floor while I was trying to refit my gearbox back in jan. If it is that any tips on fixing it? I'm pretty certain it's got all the bolts and plugs going through it. Will be a bit worrying if the gearbox isnt tight onto the car :eek:

Ah yes I know the part. Trickle little git that kept falling on the floor while I was trying to refit my gearbox back in jan. If it is that any tips on fixing it? I'm pretty certain it's got all the bolts and plugs going through it. Will be a bit worrying if the gearbox isnt tight onto the car :eek:

I'd imagine the bolts just came loose, did you lock tight them in?
If it's loose but the bolts are tight then the bolts are in the wrong place ie long bolt where short bolt should be, or the box isn't on properly
Failing that just pull it of and bin it

yeah them bolts do work their way loose its seems to be the case with a lot of nissans as the others said wack some lock tight on them.

And the winners are... porkpie700 and Daniel!

Exhaust hunch was a good one. Put some exhaust paste where the mid section slots into the back box and it's not made the noise since. Strange because it sounded like it was coming from the front but you never know really.

Thanks guys :grinning:

Back