What is a Colette?

I've got one; had it since Feb 2009, but can't find any info on what (if anything) makes it different to any other K10.

Also, are K10's bordering on the rare? It seems increasingly difficult to get genuine parts.

Raspberry

Hi

Colettes are just a trim level, got my leather gear knob from one for my LS and no they're not getting rare I'm afraid just the parts :down: Nissan don't like the k10 much anymore

2 tone paint job on the colette were,nt they :grinning: (blue on silver ?)
you could get other colours. But yeah two tone.

5262684485_8d8c5109a4_b.jpg

Parts manager used to have one as a demo.

used to pull the handbrake to the sky with both hands, run the seatbelts behind the seat and plug them in, leave the wipers on full, eat his sweets from the glove box and drive the the biggest puddle we could find everytime it was borrowed.

Happy days!

Can also remember the Master tech nicking the distributor out of it for a customers car once and refitting the faulty part to his. Funny he broke down that night!!!!! Came in the next morning and said I cannot believe we have had 2 distributors fail in one day (yes Nick thats why we have only ordered one!)

Can also remember when the colette went to the forecourt and he was getting a new LS, Paul came in from the workshop and said "Oi Hilton what are you doing giving me the wrong mudflaps for a Micra" to which the parts manager replied "Do you know how many F***ing Mudflaps we have sold for Micra's" to which Paul said "well come and see for yourself"

Picture a brand new red K10 on the ramp half way up with a set of Pardat front rubber mats fitted to the rear wheel arches!

Oh how we laughed!!!!!

I believe it was low compression because of the octane ratings of the fule used back in those days. Even though all k10's were built to run on un-leaded fuel, they could also run on 4-star (that's leaded for all you youngsters out there) which was 98RON i think. The theory goes; high compression engines make the best use of lower octane rated fuels. Hence why the MA10S (90' - 92') is more gutsy than the MA10A (83' - 89'). Before someone points it out, the MA10A isn't officially named "A". I just added the "A" to avoid confusion.

And just a little trivia for y'all, the origional run of face-lift k10's, built in June, July & August 1989 (The very first one's for the uk) were fitted with the lower compression pre-facelift engine. My GS special is one of these early cars, assembled on 18th June 1989 and registered on the 22nd. The low-comp motors used on these cars were dressed up with face-lift oil caps, altinators, distributors and expansion tanks. I believe the cam-belt sprokets were also changed for the later ones at this time but they might have been done earlier, not certain on that one.
By far the MA10S is the better engine.

Ripe for forced induction :D

I don't know what force induction is but it sounds fun! Maybe something for when I've got more dirt under my fingernails.

Nissan Micra 1983 to Jan 1993 Haynes Service and Repair Manual:
"In February 1986, Nissan introduced the Colette, with a high level of trim, but using a low compression engine and 4-speed manual gearbox for economy motoring."

I know Haynes could of got it wrong but it seems to imply the low compression engine was exclusive to the Colette. They have definitely got it wrong with, 'a high level of trim' :laugh:. Makes my Kettler go-kart look like an S-Class.

Not be modest at all.... I know the theory because of reading what people have done and researching other bits and bobs :grinning: but when I comes down to the practical I know very little :down:

Back in the day, my mam had a 1.0l all white Collette on a 'C' plate - 4 speed, and rather nippy it was too. The speedo off the scale incident springs to mind:grinning:

My Dad had an all black 1.0l SGL on a 'D' plate - 5 speed which had a very nice graphic on each side of the car running from the front wing below the windows and up the rear quarters (never saw another like it). The SGL had to be de-tuned to take unleaded which made it noticably slower.

Both cars were impeccably reliable and left us on their original eninges.

The SGL was written off at circa 120k miles

The Collette was sold with circa 130k miles

How sad I can still remember the reg numbers after all this time -

SGL was D375 YCN

Collette was C919 OVK

Happy days!

Back