is feeling a wee bit sad :(

weestar84

Jonc aka jeannie mo beal
Well some of you may know i recently bought another k10 :) well the plan was to strip it for spares for my own K10, however thats not going to plan :(

The newish K10 is in alot better condition than my own so would be silly to strip it to put onto mine :/ so looks like im keeping the newish one now.

My wee car i love it to bits, being my first car and all that i will be gutted to see it go :(

The newish one has a problem of uneven tyre wear on the back... not sure what it is and whats causing it just yet but should hopefully know by next week once hubster has the time to have a proper look about it... any ideas would be great though :)
The only problem with the newish one that i could see is the drivers door, so it will be changed over from my old one to this one :) also its a manual where mines was an automatic which i loved driving lol *yep lazy mans car so they say* lol

Has anyone ever attempted to change a manual to an automatic? can it be done? well everything can be done i guess but how hard and how long would it take do you reckon? i would love to keep an automatic but if its going to take too long and not that simple then i will be happy to just keep it as a manual, *will just take a bit of getting used too again*

Its going to be so hard to let my wee one go but i just havent got the room to keep it :(

i will get some pictures up soon of the newish one, once its had a good clean ect but overall its a great wee car :D had a little test drive of it last night and it seems so much faster than my own one :s lol but yes it looks like the newish one is staying and Jonc will be going :( *hopefully not to the car park in the sky )

Auto to manual swap is easy much easier with the engine out though I'd imagine manual to auto is about the same just in reverse

Rear wear issue probably bent rear axle or it's had a rear smash in the past and not been jigged

so if its really easyyyyy how long do you think it would take to do? and would it take 2 people? especially with the engine still in or would that just make things much more difficult? arghhhhh lol *yep im trying hard to get hubster to change it, as i just find the automatic so much more easier* but again its the time thats the problem :( so much on the go at the moment, and both my k10 and the newish ones MOT's are up in june, so that will be the final descision which ever one needs less to pass the MOT after that one of them will go, but my gut instinct is it will be my k10 that will go and the newish one will be staying

Would it not just be easier to put the engine/gearbox from the old one straight into the new one make a few hours job into one hour then just swap the petal box over and dials I'm guessing they are different never seen an auto dial so dunno

They are the same but the newish one has an engine managment, and i think my k10 has engine speed control.

They are the same but the newish one has an engine managment, and i think my k10 has engine speed control.

If the old car runs off the carb with no ecu then just put it all out and drop it in the new one and remove the ecu and bin it from the new car

right ive done nothing but think about this since the newish one arrived.... its just been all washed and is now getting pampered in the garage and already as much as i hate to say it.... it even looks better than mine :doh::( really didn't want this to happen. I can drive a manual its just i prefer the automatic. After a week of driving it, i know i'll be fine.

If i had the space i would keep both :laugh: not in a great rush to get rid of one but wont be able to keep them both forever, so we have decided because mine is still in good condition and would do someone as a first car, we have decided that both k10's will be put through there MOT's and be taxed and il keep mine for a month or 2 then it will go up for sale :( unless i get an offer before then, but in no great rush as it stands just now :)

thanks for the help and info though (Y)

What kind of condition is yours in? Rust? mileage etc?

And how much would you be looking for?

Going from manual to auto is more tricky than the other way. The electrics/wiring looms need to be changed over so that the box can be plugged in to the inhibitor switch, reverse switch etc.
The brackets for the kick-down cable will also have to be removed from your old inlet manifold and transfered onto your new one.
There is one problem i can foresee, your new k10 is an ecc cat model with ecu, the auto box was not used with that engine, it was only used with the non ecu carb version (as far as i can remember anyway). The radiator may have to be swapped aswell if the current one does not have the auto box cooling pipe connectors on the bottom of it.
I would reccomend leaving it manual unless you really need an auto, in which case i'd simply restor your old one. No k10 is beyond repair really, they're a peice of cake to restore, god knows i've done it so many times :sleepy:

erm..... theres pics of mine on here somewhere, i would have to go out and check milage lol :blush:

there is some rust on it, nothing major just yet but needs some tlc before it starts getting beyond treating.

I want to have a car that i can take and show, and although my wee car got loads of attention at the show it went too a couple of weeks ago, it wasnt enough to win anything, and i want a micra that has the potential to win, and the newish one has got the potential....

as for price i really couldnt put a price on it Scott, you would really need to make an offer, but the tax runs out end of this month and MOT is the 23rd of June. Not in a great rush to sell it though :down:

Going from manual to auto is more tricky than the other way. The electrics/wiring looms need to be changed over so that the box can be plugged in to the inhibitor switch, reverse switch etc.
The brackets for the kick-down cable will also have to be removed from your old inlet manifold and transfered onto your new one.
There is one problem i can foresee, your new k10 is an ecc cat model with ecu, the auto box was not used with that engine, it was only used with the non ecu carb version (as far as i can remember anyway). The radiator may have to be swapped aswell if the current one does not have the auto box cooling pipe connectors on the bottom of it.
I would reccomend leaving it manual unless you really need an auto, in which case i'd simply restor your old one. No k10 is beyond repair really, they're a peice of cake to restore, god knows i've done it so many times :sleepy:

thanks for that :D

thats exactly what hubster said.. i dont need an automatic so theres no point in tampering with it just because i prefer it lol. So its not being changed its staying as the manual (Y) I WILL GET USED TO IT I WILL GET USED TO IT I WILL GET USED TO IT LOL ok if i keep telling myself this then maybe i will actually start to like driving a manual :grinning:

Autos are fine in a big hefty car, drove an auto Merc 190E once. Kinda cool but it feels strange not being in control of the clutch if you know what i mean. Drove an auto k10 too before i stripped it, it was a novel experiance and good for round town but i kept pressing the damn floor for the clutch when i wanted to stop, and guess what, it wasn't there lol.

Autos are fine in a big hefty car, drove an auto Merc 190E once. Kinda cool but it feels strange not being in control of the clutch if you know what i mean. Drove an auto k10 too before i stripped it, it was a novel experiance and good for round town but i kept pressing the damn floor for the clutch when i wanted to stop, and guess what, it wasn't there lol.

lol i only passed my test in dec... and it took me a few days to get used to the automatic but last night when i had a little test drive i stalled it 3 times trying to get it out the garage * reversing up a hill* :blush::blush: and had to get hubster to get it out in the end for me :laugh: but once i got going i was ok lol i know i can do it and through time il love it just like my own k10 :grinning:

Hi weestar. Sorry to hear about your car woes. It'll all work out in the end. Just have to push through with it and you'll have a nice little white micra running around again. Keep me updated on what you're doing with the spare one. If you strip it for parts I'd be interested in a few bits.

To be honest i think its far too good to be stripped so when the time comes :( i will be selling it as a whole and hope that someone will get some good use out of it :D I just wouldnt have the heart to strip it then scrap the rest :(

Back