Waxoil......where, when and how?

wehey

Ex. Club Member
My little Micra is a minter, in that there aint a spot of rust on it. I picked it up in December 2011 and i recon it has spent all of its life in a garage. Even all the nuts and bolts are rust /seized free!

I want to keep it this way and know that waxoil is a good product to use.........but i have never used it before.

So how do i go about it?? I presume i clean all surfaces and spray it on?
Where do i spray it?? how much of the underside shall i do? front cross member too??

Any help would be appreciated

i blasted the whole underneath of mine :)
floor, suspension, everything bar the exhaust
and behind the inner 1/4 panel trims and into the sills too

as frank said blast everything....used it on my chevette in the 80's n still going strong today...my sills where that full used to leave a pool of wax where it had been stood in the summer time :)

So would jet blasting the underside 1st to clear all the crud off be a good idea ??

And regarding the underside, coat everything right upto the sill seams?

So would jet blasting the underside 1st to clear all the crud off be a good idea ??

just make sure its completely dry before you start applying the waxoil otherwise you will trap water droplets behind the waxoil and it may cause problems down the line with rust.also,i personally would avoid the spray version of waxoil type protection and go for the brush on version instead.

the spray can get everywhere,but with a brush its a more controlled application and you can get in all the nooks and crannys with the bristles.just my 2p anyway.

oh and wear a mask and old/protective clothing as its a right bugger to get off and stinks to high heaven.

I hate waxoil, tried it underneath my Navara and then scraped it all off. I had the black spray on one and it was like pikeys had just tarmaced the chasis:eek: I binned it and got cans of hamerite in the right colours to keep it factory looking fresh and original. If you ever need to work on the car this stuff is a nightmare, nuts and bolts are all gunked up with this tarry crap.;)

tbf hamerite is good stuff to also if u have got eny caked on road crud i would surgest going over the underneath with a small wire brush.

I normally use a wirebrush/drill bit to clean up rust, then either fill it or blast it with zinc primer then coat it with hammerite paint, and then cover it in waxoil *Tin stuff* with a paint brush, that seems to work quite effectively imo o_O

Back