Problems with distributor when cold and damp (k11)

I had noticed a crack on the cap where it bolts on when it wouldn’t start a few weeks ago.
I dried it out with a heat gun and then I filled the crack with super steel weld compound.

All was fine until this morning it wouldn’t start until I had the heat gun on it for 5 minutes.
After work it wouldn’t start but I kept cranking it for like 7-8 seconds and after about 3 attempts it started to fire up really faintly then progressively more for another 2 and then it fired up. On my 30 minute journey it stalled out once in second gear but then was okay.

Someone I work with said that it could be the part that sits on top but it looks like I’d have to solder that on. (It has a small rust spot on it)
FCC84FEE-C9EA-4F52-88F0-74A49FACF6DC.jpeg

I’m going to clean out the plugs/spark plugs and maybe put silicone around the edge one of them that doesn’t sit flush on the engine (if it won’t melt?)

Basically do you think that I’ve overlooked something or do I need a full new distributor?

Attachments

• 68C97789-B069-4B7B-A2FE-E4E41B8AB919.jpeg
    68C97789-B069-4B7B-A2FE-E4E41B8AB919.jpeg
    956.9 KB · Views: 212
Was the contacts white? Those tend to build up with oxidation

Nah they weren’t white, they’re about 3 months old.
I’ve just paid a guy £70 for a distributor, and waiting for it now. The price is a bit steep but he says that it’s a really good condition one.
Although he would say that lol.

Just waiting ages for him to get it for some reason

It had 2 cracks on the dizzy cap so I didn’t get it

Becoming rare in scrapyards now as ancient K11s get crushed as soon as they come in & used parts may have to be pre ordered.

Many on here will have surplus K11 bits wasting space in garages/workshops for the price of postage.

Ya pays ya money & takes ya choice? :cool:

Becoming rare in scrapyards now as ancient K11s get crushed as soon as they come in & used parts may have to be pre ordered.

Many on here will have surplus K11 bits wasting space in garages/workshops for the price of postage.

Ya pays ya money & takes ya choice? :cool:

I ordered a new cap and rotator arm for £20 so hopefully it will fix it.
I hope it comes with a gasket because the gasket on now is not fit for purpose.

Does anyone know if the distributor rotator arm just pulls off?
I’ve had the cap off and the distributor off but not the rotator arm

MikeHP

Site Supporter
I ordered a new cap and rotator arm for £20 so hopefully it will fix it.
I hope it comes with a gasket because the gasket on now is not fit for purpose.

Does anyone know if the distributor rotator arm just pulls off?
I’ve had the cap off and the distributor off but not the rotator arm
I'd imagine there's a grub screw that locks the rotor onto the shaft?

I will be doing this same job soon as I'm getting the same problems. I think you're on the right track. If it helps, I found that pulling an HT lead off the dizzy and spraying WD-40 in through the port helps it start on damp mornings. Got me and my partner out of trouble more than once.

I have the parts in the garage but I can't remember if a gasket is included.

Best of luck

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Micra Sports Club mobile app

I'd imagine there's a grub screw that locks the rotor onto the shaft?

I will be doing this same job soon as I'm getting the same problems. I think you're on the right track. If it helps, I found that pulling an HT lead off the dizzy and spraying WD-40 in through the port helps it start on damp mornings. Got me and my partner out of trouble more than once.

I have the parts in the garage but I can't remember if a gasket is included.

Best of luck

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Micra Sports Club mobile app

Hey man. I ended up putting a new gasket and cap on and everything is working fine now, although the bad weather is yet to come.

I tried to change the rotor but that screw was not coming lose and I couldn’t be bothered with it snapping so I left it