Verrry hot!!!!

temperature display on dials was working fine

came home from a quick run about with a new battery fitted as old one was ****** and the temp needle had shot up to the red, but the rad fan did not kick in.

turned engine off and left for 5-10 mins and in the mean time, gave the car a clean with the jet wash as it was a wee bit filthy :D

turned ignition on and started and temp needle went straight up to half way (normal operating temp level) but then carried on up to just under red before i decided that something is wrong!

anyone have an idea what it could be??

if fans not kicking in (ie ecu sensors see's the engine temp is normal) and nothing's steaming then it's prob the dash gauge sensor thats faulty or shorting. take the 2 temp sensors out from under the dizzy and test they're within spec

also check there's no air pockets in the cooling system

if fans not kicking in (ie ecu sensors see's the engine temp is normal) and nothing's steaming then it's prob the dash gauge sensor thats faulty or shorting. take the 2 temp sensors out from under the dizzy and test they're within spec

also check there's no air pockets in the cooling system

which wire is it for the temp gauge on the dash?? i think i have super s dials (black background w/ rev counter)

problem is my dials

plugged my old ones in and the temp is at normal level (half way up) but when i plug the super s ones in it is showing in the red.
anyone know whats up with them??

this happened to me years ago,in my case was the temp gauge sensor that needed replacing

is that sensor attached to the dials or part of the car??
it seems fine when i use my old dials (original ones off a vibe) but as soon as the super s ones are put in, the temp shoots up to 3/4 or red

the smaller single pin sensor is for the gauge and the dual pin larger sensor is for the ecu.

does the temp needle on the old and current gauge rest all the way down when ignitions off?

if no then the needle could've been knocked outa position and just need rejigging.

if yes and the super s dials just keeps rising then it could be duff.

i'd check the gauge sensors within spec first to make sure it's sending the right reading. if not then replace the sensor. if the sensors ok and the dials are actually duff, the clusters on a 3 cluster type dial with tacho/speedo/temp can be swapped. simply unclip the clear and black shroud panel from the instrument unit, undo two nuts at the back thats holding the fuel/temp cluster to the unit and pull the cluster out to unplug from the circuitry. plug in the old working fuel/temp cluster and reassemble

see post #111 here
http://www.micra.org.uk/threads/35251-PollyMobiles-Rebuild/page3

@pollyp

Old temp gauge resets when ignition is off, but so does the super s one

Started car up this morning and on old dials the temp was cold as it is when you first start the car up
It didn't rise up to Red, but I was only running it for a minute so it would do

Will check super s dials when I get back home in an hour to see if it was just a blip
And I can't switch the fuel/temp dials from my old dials as the supers has fuel & temp on 1 of the 3 and my old ones have fuel and temp on a dial each

gave up with dials and just put old ones back on.

if anyone fancies having a look at the dials and seeing if they can find anything wrong with them,
or even if anyone want to buy a set of possibly faulty ones send me a pm ;)

cheers for everyones help

stew

i had the same problem when i tried some ss clocks in my dot stew (the tacho did,nt work and the gauges went a bit wierd fwn) i gave up too lol

i had the same problem when i tried some ss clocks in my dot stew (the tacho did,nt work and the gauges went a bit wierd fwn) i gave up too lol

worst thing is,
start
all dials working bar tacho
ran wire from blue wire on dizzy to blue/black wire behind dials - tacho works
tacho not working but then jumps into life in 5th gear doing 60ish on motorway
battery died last week
new battery
tacho still not working unless doing 60mph+ and now temp gauge reading normal operating temp when it should be cold
today, fuel gauge is now reading full when i have just over a full tank in.

me thinks the dials are ******!!

Strange how they did work & are now playing up...

my point exactly!
tacho didnt work so had to run cable from dizzy, then the all worked
tacho did every now and then stop working but i think it was a bad connection to the wire
changed battery and now the entire cluster set doesnt work properly but my original ones work fine

Back