Engine Juddering when Warm/Hot

Hi

Was hoping for some advice. I have a 2000 (W) Micra Inspiration. 15,000 (Fifteen) from new, i realise such low milage is not always a good thing. It looks like it is just off the production line internally and externally.

The problem im encountering is when the engine heats up. The temp gauge goes into the red zone and the car judders violently and loses power. I thought it was an over heating problem so i turned the heater and fans up full which has no effect on the temp gauge. In fact the heaters were blowing cold air. To cool the engine i have to stop for 5/10 mins and then it will drive again.

I dont know much about cars and so really i want to have some idea of what it might be so i can take it into the garage and not get screwed over.

Thanks in Advance.

Darren

I feel such a tool!!!

Ive just checked the radiator, which was fine. I then went back out and rechecked and found an empty bottle which i suspect is the water bottle.

[Holds hands up....Yeah im a numpty]

If ever you chaps need help with Computers im your man....These car things are rocket science!!

Now the question is can i fill this with good old fashioned H20 or do i need to add coolant and water??

Have to admit to having had a look around at some of the mods on here and they look QUALITY!!

have you checked there are 2 belts ?

Correct!! :(

Just took it for a spin and it made no difference, still juddered when engine got hot, still cold air from the fans.

Where are these belts located?

Ive checked the fan that sits behind the radiator and when the temperature raises it kicks in as expected.

Incidentally i have the orange CHECK light on the dash. Came on last night for first time.

darrenm

looking at the engine, bottom left you,ll see the alternator belt, behind it should be a smaller belt

Frank

both belts are there and are intact.

Just noticed something quirky. The coolant bottle that i filled about 40 minutes ago is now empty again although there is no excess of water under the car that i can see.

Need to get this nailed or ill miss the Huddersfield Game :D

darrenm

thats just a catch tank !
if you,ve got power steering, there should be 3 belts iirc
the waterpump belt is 1/2 as wide as the alternator belt

Having looked at the specs (its a celebration not inspiration) then it has power steering.

There are two belts to the LHS of the engine, one from the Alternator and one that is longer but thinner than the alternator belt. Thats it for belts on that side of the engine.

So the catch bottle being empty again is of no real relevance then?

darrenm

the waterpump belt is 1/2 as wide and 1/2 as long than the alternator belt and runs towards the back of the car, very close to the engine
dont worry about the catch tank

ok so there are deffo only 2 belts.

my.php

darrenm

all i can think is waterpump prob then
a thermostat prob would still give heater warmth
the rads full, so it can,t be circulating for some reason ?

darrenm

your welcome, i,ve come across impellers snapping off and cavitation problems, but very rarely !
hope you get it sorted soon !

Guys,

Just wanted to thank everyone for the help. I didnt have to go to the Garage in the end. I think as has been mentioned, i was victim of an air lock.

I found a post on here from some time ago that explained how to bleed the radiator. I followed this and the Temp gauge sits at halfway when warm as expected and i now have warm air through the fans again and no judder.

The engine management light is still on but im assuming that once it has been tripped it needs resetting by the computer/diagnostics util that a Nissan garage would use unless there is a way i can reset it myself.

Back