Various loud sounds

Hello everyone, first post here.
So I've had my '99 inspiration for about 7 months now and has been a great first car to get me where I need to go, one issue I am coming across now is this loud sound (video attached going 30-40mph) that gets very loud around around 60. Now I do know these cars aren't the best for motorways and comfort, but I do reach these speeds often and would like to know if it's normal. The cars got around 70k miles and the last owner did frequently use the motorway. It's had a good service history and only failed MOTs for silly things like windscreen jets. I have just changed the gearbox oil along with the engine oil with some Castrol goodies and hasn't made much difference to sound, it's last MOT did have an advisory about the track rod end and driveshaft dust covers and CV boots being deteriorated but the last owner replaced all of these and put in new track rod ends so I believe this is the source of the sound as it does only change with speed and neutral/gear doesn't affect it

Any help on what to look at would be appreciated :)

Link to sound: https://photos.app.goo.gl/dQini5SBuP4xQXXo6

Could be that the repair wasn't quite done properly? Or maybe a wheel bearing issue? Just a couple of suggestions to get things going, I don't mean to criticise the work anyone has done on your car. In normal running condition these cars are fine for motorways but seat comfort tends to become an issue. I tended to always keep mine at around the 60mph mark as the 1l engines are a bit noisy after that point.

Last edited:
That is either a bad drive shaft or more likely, a bad wheel bearing. I assume that the tires are good and true…

Last edited:
Could be that the repair wasn't quite done properly? Or maybe a wheel bearing issue? Just a couple of suggestions to get things going, I don't mean to criticise the work anyone has done on your car. In normal running condition these cars are fine for motorways but seat comfort tends to become an issue. I tended to always keep mine at around the 60mph mark as the 1l engines are a bit noisy after that point.
I reckon it is the wheel bearing as it sounds very similar to examples on YouTube, one thing I wanted to do was give the wheel a wiggle when it was off the ground but I jacked it up from the other side and didn't have time to test..

Wheel bearings on their way out tend to get noisy quickly. Also, when going around roundabouts at safe driving speeds, noise is more pronounced then as weight is being shifted over to one of the wheel bearings. As Argesean suggested, also check the condition of the wheels, tyres and hubs as anything untrue might also cause a noise like this.

Last edited:
Back