New owner - various issues

A

abumahya

Hi all

My first post - so plenty of (noddy) questions :wasntme:

My other half wandered home with a 1998 1.0 Nissan Micra Passion (K11) yesterday.

Everything looks good, apart from....

1. No service history in the last two years and the Nissan owners manual and maintenance record are a bit thin on detail - short of buying the relevant Haynes manual, is there anywhere that I can get a definitive guide to servicing the car from? e.g. what needs changing, how often and with what part (oil specification etc).

2. Timing chain or belt - as a rule, having bought a second hand car I always get the cambelt changed asap. Does the Micra have a timing chain or belt and in either case what are the recommended change intervals?

3. Is this model (i.e. the Passion) supposed to have PAS? I find the steering on ours to be very heavy - any ideas as to what could be wrong?

4. The gearbox seems sticky in general and particularly so after 20 or so mile on the motorway at 60mph. Again, any ideas what could be causing this?

Any responses to any of my questions would be massively appreciated :D

Thanks

1. it should tell you in the haynes what to change, just loan one from your local library for nowt :D

2. It has a timing change and is meant to be changed every 100k but tbh very VERY few changes snap, and its probably due to being hammered.

3. unknown about PAS, was probs an option like most models, check your tyre pressures.

4. Change the box oil, this could help greatly :)

Nothing like mechanical advice at 2am lads!!

The Haynes Manual is a must

You'll be able to hear if your chain is going with some nasty sounds from engine

You can check if has PAS, inder bonnet, top left, is there 2 fluids containers? If not then you don't have it.

I get the gearbox stiffness after motorway driving, usually ok after I wiggle stick in and out of gears for 2 mins but an oil change might help.

Whats this about the timing chain change at 100k? it doesn't say anything about it in the owners manual or the Haynes, or have i not been looking hard enough?

I thought (and I'm not the only one) that providing the oil changes are kept up the timing chain should last the life of the engine.

gt-r said:
I thought (and I'm not the only one) that providing the oil changes are kept up the timing chain should last the life of the engine.

Well I can say that on a '93 K11 with 133k on the clock, I have no noises coming from the timing chain? So I would like to agree with you there too... all my cars previous owners were older though so the engine has never been hammered, chances are it never will either... i love my car too much :p

Back