Strange sounds and engine

Hi all I am new here and from Malta :). Well to start, I have a 1995 3 door micra ( the one of my pic) with 10hp petrol engine. I have bought it last March and must say that this car is very amazing to drive. However, this month I have been experiencing some strange noises. Every I pull in the 5th gear and accelerate to 60km/h I hear a strange metallic rambling sound behind my dash board. My gear pedal sometimes squeaks in the 4th gear while running around 30-40km/h which does not happen all the time. Other things that I want to note that once in a week or so I smell petrol after using my car and in some days the engine seem to be weaker and the day after it has better performance. I wonder sometimes whether I am imagining or not but my friends also acknowledged some things. Any help please?

hi david :)
a vibration noise could be anything really, and also the performance changes, we would just be guessing tbh

For the vibration, I am wandering whether it's the gearbox. What about the smell of petrol I encounter after I drive it? Is it wasting petrol?

petrol smell from the exhaust ? (overfueling, high mpg etc) or petrol smell from leaks ? (rusty filler neck maybe ?) but these are just stabs in the dark tbh, you need to do some diagnosis first (lambda voltage/plug colour etc)

Back