Using a leaf blower does actually improve power

CMF_Alex_B

» CMF Member
lmao, if someone wants to try this for the hellofit on a dyno i have contacts to get the best leaf blowers on the market to borrow for the day. As i used to work at Stihl Shop Morayfield selling outdoor power equipment, and from that video i can tell that's the older Stihl BG72 BlowerVac, which had a considerably lower airspeed/throughput than the current range due to an impressive impellor design on the the newer BG65 and BG85 > i never thought the cu/ft min would be enough at high revs > thought it would choke it but anyway they have proven me wrong. Onloy prob is the air its sucking in isn't filtered though :(

but my sale pocketbook shows the BG65 (0.7kw, 27.2cc) has an airspeed of 280Km/h and a throughput of 730 cubic-meters/h and the BG85 (also 27.2cc, but 0.8kw thanks to bigger exhaust) has a little more go 295km/h and 780 cubic-meter/h.

BUT what you really want to hookup is a Backpack Blower, now that'll get you results! Stihl BR420 (56.6cc, 2.6kw) 363km/h airspeed and a whopping 1060 cubic-meter/h throughput.

http://www.stihl.com.au/products/product.cfm?iModelID=343

this is all pretty much useless for everyday driving, just for fun fooling around on a dyno :p, on that note i could hookup a remote trigger to rev the blowervac from inside the car :D haha hookup two of them :D

if anyone watch's mythbusters, you would have seen jamie and adam make their own 1 man hover-crafts out of several petrol blowervac's, go mythbusters!

Alex

cisco

» CMF Member
I've never had any doubts that forcing air into an engine with another petrol engine would increase power - of course it would! A petrol leaf blower has so much more output than a p155y electric motor type electric supercharger etc.

But it wouldn't compare to anything like a turbocharger!
Really exactly the same as a very small linear supercharger.

Back