Urgent! Gear linkage problem.

Today i read on here tht a stiff gear linkage can be helped by lubing the linkage joints so a did it earlier and it was much better all day its been fine then ive just finished work n as im driving i noticed all of a sudden ther was no return force coming out of gears. Is ther like a return spring in the linkage to flick it back to central position out of gears. I come out of first n its still in line with first and second and have to pull it along to line with 3th and 4th and again to 5th. Im worried incase i put it in say first from fourth so does anyone know what this is or some checks. Anything ideas help ppl even if it is just an idea. Thanks in advance

You've hit the nail on the head bud return springs snapped off just need looping back on underneath.

You won't force it from 4th to first don't worry :)

I put a pic up last week of what the spring should look like when it's in place

Wer can i find the pic? N will my spring be ther still on one side or will i more than likley need a new one? By the way the person who runs this needs a medal. Id pay money to use this app its helpd me tht much haha

The return springs are not needed, jist annoying when not there. You will need to drop the exhaust off and then remove the heat shield, then look at the bottom of gear stick, there should be a few springs. Guarantee at least one has a snapped end. Use pliers to make a hook out of the broken end and reatach

Without ramps or anything im looking at taking to the garage. So how much ya think itll be cos its just labour cost isnt it?
It'll take any garage about an hour in labour, so if for example you went to Nissan, that's £70. It would be slightly less at an independent one. I suggest you purchase a set of ramps or jack and stands (about £35). You're then on you're way to saving lots of money by being able to service/repair this and subsequently owned vehicles. You win.

Update on this. Spring wasnt gone and bushes wer okay just when i wd40d the bushes ther was rust n it released it all n dryd up n ceased it up worse than it was so garage disassembled my libkage cleaned off the rusty bits greased it up n reassembled n nw its better than ever. Anyone with linkage problems try cleanout n refit might be the cheapest fix :)

Back