gear problem

Hi. This is my first time here and wanted some advice so the local mechanic doesn't rip me off.
I have a micra on a K plate (93) one of the first bubble shape ones, that has recently developed a strange noise. It's only while travelling in gear and sort of sounds like there's a steam engine running?? gears all change fine apart from 1st being difficult to get in and in 5th gear it kicks out sometimes but not always. The mechanics i called gave a diagnosis over the phone and said the gearbox was screwed and needs replacing but is that right or could it just be low on gear oil?? I've not checked the gear oil as I don't know how to.
Nissan Micra 1993 petrol 1l manual
Thanks for any help you can give.

pollyp

Club Member
  • if it doesn't return to center from the LH then the return spring under the stick is snapped or gear linkage bushes are rusty & seized.
  • if the stick seems very stiff, the linkage bushes are rusty n seized.
  • if its difficult to slot into 1st/2nd, the linkage bushes are worn loose.
  • if it rattles in 5th on motorway, the linkage bushes are worn loose.
  • rattling in 3rd/4th could be worn loose bushes & snapped return spring.
if the gearbox oil is low and/or the gear bearings are worn, you'll hear them begin to whine like a reverse gear while driving alone.

on my 1.3 box it's easy to check the gear oil level by unplugging the speedo cable, take the speedo pinion out the back of the gearbox and dip the engine oil dipstick down the hole to check the level is close to Max.

LastVenue

Club Member (Trial)
How many miles has it done? My gearbox started whining noise at around 170k miles. It kept popping out of 3rd gear too.

skymera

Brutal Honesty
  • if it doesn't return to center from the LH then the return spring under the stick is snapped or gear linkage bushes are rusty & seized.
  • if the stick seems very stiff, the linkage bushes are rusty n seized.
  • if its difficult to slot into 1st/2nd, the linkage bushes are worn loose.
  • if it rattles in 5th on motorway, the linkage bushes are worn loose.
  • rattling in 3rd/4th could be worn loose bushes & snapped return spring.
if the gearbox oil is low and/or the gear bearings are worn, you'll hear them begin to whine like a reverse gear while driving alone.

on my 1.3 box it's easy to check the gear oil level by unplugging the speedo cable, take the speedo pinion out the back of the gearbox and dip the engine oil dipstick down the hole to check the level is close to Max.

I noticed rattling in 5th. 1st is almost a complete pain to get into.
At least I know it's the linkage bushes now!