Gear Linkage problems ?

My sons has Micra has just developed a problem with the gear change. He went to select 1st gear and the gear stick became lose and then dropped back into a position as if in second gear. The car is now stuck in what appears to be 1st gear and we can't move the stick.
Is this a linkage problem ?, if so does it mean replacing the linkage , what sort of job is it and how much will linkage cost.

Thanks

Maybe the 2 bolts holding the gearstick to its ball socket mount on the selector mechanism prob came loose so the stick just flops about. Happened to me once. Just remove cat, heatshield, maybe remove gearstick gaiter above to help position the ball socket mount in place, and then bolt it back up with threadlock.

Oh its stuck in 2nd gear position? Then as frank said summing like rear mount has prob shifted n jammed the linkage

Thanks

I have put the car in with our local garage as my son needs the car for college Monday.
Drove it 3 miles in 1st gear!.
Hopefully it's not too drastic, too wet to have a good look last night, but managed to take gear change gater off , nothing obvious and a quick look underneath in the dark revealed nothing obvious.
Anyway fingers crossed. Thanks everyone.

Micra is now repaired.

Frank: You were right, rear engine mount had become detached. My local mechanic bolted engine back in possition (Apparently thread had stripped on one mount ).
Charged me £10 , excellent mechanic + honest .
Thanks everyone for the advice, it's agood little motor apart from the colour 'pink'.

Back